Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > DRAWING FORUM » Spring Contest-a Fun One
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Well here is what my dogs have taught me~ (long winded as usual lol)
Jessie ~ Jessie has given me more than I have ever received from a human being in my entire life. She has taught me that unconditional love and loyalty does exist, if only in canine form .
Within DAYS of getting Jessie from the shelter, she unintentionally taught me responsibility and the value of life itself. Jessie almost died from Parvo, I only had her home for two days and she then stayed almost two weeks at the vet. We almost lost her twice. Three full litters of pups lost their battle with Parvo during that period; it ran rampant in the shelter and got out of control awfully quick. A vet tech told me she personally believed I was the reason Jessie survived because I gave her a reason to live. Every day I went to the vet on my lunch break, and then after work spent the whole evening there until they kicked me out. Two weekends in a row I was completely underfoot of these poor vets and techs as I wanted to spend every minute I could with Jessie. I was terrified she would die if I was not there as my sisters pup she got the same day had. Every day was a new bag of any and every different food/treat to see if we could stimulate her appetite. I had only had her for two days but all ready knew that I loved this precious little girl with all my heart and it was MY responsibility to make sure she got better, she had a rough start in life and deserved to be spoiled forever. That was a lot coming from an awfully self centered selfish person that I was almost my whole life up until that day.
Within the first few MONTHS after she was home, I saw how incredibly happy and so willing to learn Jessie was when I paid undivided attention to her. All she wants is to make me happy. I passed this along in how I deal with people all the time because of that. Everybody, whether dog or human, wants attention and like to feel that they have your undivided attention. It’s sometimes amazing how you can change a persons mood by actually giving them some of your time and letting them know they are important to you. Sometimes just a small gesture of affection and/or attention can brighten someone right up.
Within the first couple YEARS Jessie again reminded me about unconditional love and how far you will go when you love someone/something, we almost lost her again. Jessie was brought in unresponsive to an emergency vet, who saved her life and diagnosed her with Addisons disease. They told me that had I not brought her in immediately when I did she would have died of shock! For the last year and a half I have spent every other week at the vets office getting blood tests, tweaking the doses on Jessie’s meds to “get it right”, I have spent thousands of $$ so far and it is of no concern to me because I love Jessie so much and she is finally happy and healthy. Canine Addisons disease is not very well known amongst vets and isn’t treated correctly very often. I did a LOT of research so I knew exactly what I was dealing with and what needed to be done. I couldn’t imagine my life without my best friend, my little Jessie butt. All of a sudden in a situation like that you expand your capacity of what you can handle because you have to. My vet just recently told me that I have taught HIM a lot about Addisons disease, that my dedication to her warms his heart. It warms MY heart still having her around. She truly is my angel that has come back from the brink TWICE to be with me. Her sweetness and kindness always stay with me and affects how I deal with people with more patience, kindness, and understanding.
I looked at Jessie last night as we were cuddling watching tv and I was in tears just thinking about the fact that someday she will not be here with me. She is my true soul mate, my heart, a one of a kind. She always knows when I am not feeling well and tries to comfort me. She’s patient with me when I am crabby, and makes sure to give me extra love when she knows I really needs it. I think about her about 80 million times a day and she just brings a smile to my face and warms my heart. There is not one minute when I am home that she is not by my side. I love her more than anything in this world, and could never repay to her in a million years what she has given me and taught me in every aspect of my life.
Sugar~ Well, Sugar has taught me patience and compassion, and a HUGE sense of responsibility. Beyond any reasonable degree you could ever understand lol. She is unruly, ill mannered and obnoxiously behaved; her saving grace is she doesn’t have a mean or violent bone in her body. We have been to behaviorists, training class, etc. She is just so stubborn and unruly. Since we have had Sugar, people in my life has noticed a huge change in my anger management (used to be LACK OF, I have a terrible temper lol). I am SO much more patient in any situation that gets thrown at me than I used to be, it takes me a lot longer to get to the point where I’ll snap. Dealing with Sugar on a daily basis can be very challenging and your average person would not have the compassion/patience to deal with this sweet girl who just doesn’t know how to interact properly. My 8 yr. old son has ADHD & autism, and my husband and I have found ourselves having a lot more patience with him and more compassion when trying to understand why he behaves the way he does since having to deal with Sugar for the last two years. I have had many, many people (including my husband at times and both our whole families) say that they would have “gotten rid” of Sugar a long time ago or put her to sleep. That’s where the responsibility part comes in. I do love Sugar, although she makes it AWFULLY hard a lot of the time with all crap she pulls lol. But, I do love her, she is our poochie and OUR responsibility to see that she can live with a quality of life and be happy. We now joke that we have two kids with ADHD/Autism, Sugar being one of them. I wouldn’t trade Sugar for anything in this world. She has made me a stronger, more patient person. She constantly reminds me, when we snuggling on the bed at night, that sometimes the best things in life do NOT come easy.
(Okay, well Sugar also has also taught me to have a truck drivers mouth that I never had before ! LOL)

Last edited by Shells_k : 04-25-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Sorry, not really dog related, but a child with autism talked to me yesterday. He comes into the store I work at, and I always talk to him, but yesterday he finally answered! His mom and I were shocked! I was really happy he opened up to me. I can see where you would get frustrated with a child like that Michelle. Keep up the good fight, with your son and Sugar!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Great job Shells, I taught a little two year old boy with autism. My name was the first word he ever said. He was such a sweet little boy but there were days when he was worlds away, it was neat to know that I could break that barrier and come through to him.
I love your long windedness, it makes you who you are. I love your story, I to think of life without mine sometimes and it makes me very sad. I have a while to go so I try not to think about it.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
poundpuppiesandme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to poundpuppiesandme

Rossco: My jack russel, Has taught me to be proud of the craziness he brings to my life. He is one of a kind. Always impressing people, and the smartest creature i have ever met.

Max: My Chihuahua/Dachshund mix, Has shown me that after you have been to hell and back, you can still love, and be happy. And trust agian. And I have no idea how my armpit survived without him!!!!

Bizkit: My Beagle/brittany spanial mix, Has taught me that it is ok to be different, and not fit in. That somewhere, someone will find you, and love you for all that you are, and not care what you lack. He has taught me to be a better dog person, by showing me he can do it with my help.

My dogs, Have enriched my life in so many ways but...Mostly they have given me something to have faith in, they are there for me no matter how crappy my life can be. They love me. They are loyal, faithful and everything that does not exsist in humans.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
Sorry, not really dog related, but a child with autism talked to me yesterday. He comes into the store I work at, and I always talk to him, but yesterday he finally answered! His mom and I were shocked! I was really happy he opened up to me. I can see where you would get frustrated with a child like that Michelle. Keep up the good fight, with your son and Sugar!
Thanks CerbiesMom

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dogmom View Post
Great job Shells, I taught a little two year old boy with autism. My name was the first word he ever said. He was such a sweet little boy but there were days when he was worlds away, it was neat to know that I could break that barrier and come through to him.
I love your long windedness, it makes you who you are. I love your story, I to think of life without mine sometimes and it makes me very sad. I have a while to go so I try not to think about it.
Thank you 5dogmom

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #17
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

That was touching shells. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one w/a truckers mouth!LOL It's so hard though when your 4 1/2 year old repeats everything you do! I'm doing much better and just mumble under my breath but sometimes one slips out! Since your sugar has beagle in her have you tried some excercise where sniffing is a must? Or is she (I hope this doesn't offend you) too dumb?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
That was touching shells. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one w/a truckers mouth!LOL It's so hard though when your 4 1/2 year old repeats everything you do! I'm doing much better and just mumble under my breath but sometimes one slips out! Since your sugar has beagle in her have you tried some excercise where sniffing is a must? Or is she (I hope this doesn't offend you) too dumb?
Thanks 2dogs. I have reread my post over and over again this weekend to give me strength, as we have had a very rough weekend with Andy this weekend!!!!
LOL Sugar is not very bright. Well no let me rephrase that, its not so much that she isnt too bright necessarily, she has the attention span of a GNAT. We have tried everything with this girl, behaviorists, training, medicine, all out the window .

As far as my terrible mouth goes, Im pretty good about not doing it in front of the kids,as it has been a constant battle with my husband and his family to not swear in front of the kids. Every single one of his brothers have the filthiest mouths I have ever heard and talk like that in front of their kids incessantly. Its embarassing and makes me angry to just have my husbands twin in the room for more than 5 minutes!

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #19
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Spunky and Kipper enhance my life on a daily basis. They are the piece of the puzzle that is the center of my husband and I's life. Spunky has been there with us at the beginning of our 7 year relationship. At age 16 he was brought into our life and has been a joy ever since. As our relationship grew stronger we moved out on our own, that meant only one thing....Kipper! To help Spunky deal with the stress of moving we picked Kipper out. And, as time went on we knew we were a complete family! Last year Kevin and I married at age 22. Looking back at the years we spent together our fondest and happiest moments include our wonderful dogs. 4 years ago we rented our first house together, during that time Kevin worked 3rd shift. I was left home alone every night in a strange new neighborhood. Luckily I had Kipper & Spunky to help me feel safe and secure. Honestly, if I didn't have them I would have been lost, those lonely nights alone in an unknown environment. A year later we purchased our first home together at age 20. Our new home would not be complete without them. The joy they express when we come home from work, the love they give us in times of need, and the pure happiness I see in there eyes when they look at me. Like every couple Kevin and I stumble on rough times, but Kipper & Spunky somehow make all of our worries disappear. I look back at all the happy memories they provided us and I feel so happy with my life. At times I think about the future and I cry thinking "Oh god no, this happy time with them will come to an end." I get so depressed when I think of that. So I try my hardest to give them every thing they could possibly need, love wise. And, I feel that they are completely content and know how much we love them. They also have given me the building blocks to my future with helping animals. I will foster for now on, and help save many lives. I also in the future hope to get involved with something bigger than fostering, maybe start my own Therapy program with dogs and children with disabilities. I have never felt more complete ever in my life. They mean the world to me.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #20
Dingolady1
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Dingolady1
Cant help but think of a few dogs of the past

Bell was a pure heeler who was very aggressive and taught me to watch my back and never fully trust anything....

Syd my heeler had a spirit and was just so loyal.. i grew up with him by my side from a teenager to my thirties ....he taught me how to love and trust...

D4 my heeler is so loyal and funny, she has a personality bigger than the sky and you can get to love her quick... she gets under the skin....and into your heart fast as lightning...

Bruce is a sweetheart but he can be frustrating when it comes down to it.
he howls and is a very cheeky boy who stirs up the girls and gets them into trouble.... then says im a good boy......

Then comes Azaria she is a handfull who you dont trust fully.. she is a wild spirited dog at heart and always on the destructive path.... her theory in life is any attention is good even if it comes from destroying stuff...

At the end of the day each dog has taught me something from how to love through to how to be responsible in life and ownership..
When you look into there eyes and see love how could anything be sweeter?

My dogs are my life and i need them to survive and remain sain in such a mad world......
Closed Thread

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > DRAWING FORUM