Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » separation anxiety

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
missymoo
Site Regular

separation anxiety

Hi peeps, Hope your all well.

I need some advice from you lovely people about my mal, harley. Since Jessie went on Tuesday he looks thoroughly miserable and is howling at night and managing to get upstairs at which point he just prowls around and wont settle.

He is a little off his food which i expected. I have started to let him settle wherever he wants to just so that he can actually rest and not pace. He has started sitting in the chair by the window and just stares out of it all day. I leave the radio on when i nip out (im on annual leave until monday) and leave the light on in the kitchen as normal for him.

Does this last long? Is there anything else anyone else has tried ? I can cope with no sleep and spend the time with him this week but im trying to get him a little more settled before i go back to uni next week.

Help, i feel so sorry for him, and have a mind block as to what to do next.

Thanks for your help

Sharon and Harley
missymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
KatherineI
Been Around A While

I don't think it's a permanent SA, more like grieving. Dogs grieve too. It sounds like he's really missing his friend. It may just take time. It's only been 2 days, it could take a week or two. After that, if he's still depressed (which it sounds like he could easily slip into), I'd talk to your vet about what they suggest.

There are also herbal remedies that you can try. I'm going the Valerian Root route with my Merlin for his moderate SA.
KatherineI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
missymoo
Site Regular

brilliant thanks for the advice about the valerian. I may get some in just in case. There is light at the end of the tunnel lol x
missymoo is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic