Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » dont dogs love car rides??

Old 04-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Jasmin08
New Around Here

dont dogs love car rides??

So ever since day one Jasmin has absolutly HATED car rides. If grab her leash and grab my purse she knows that we are going in the car and she goes crazy. she will run to her mat or hide in her kennel as if to say "just leave me here, i will be good see?"

once i get her on the leash and we get close to the car she tries so hard to get away. She tugs and pulls and jumps (this is a boxer/st. bernard mix so jumping and pulling means you are going to get your arm pulled out of socket). i have to physically put her front paws on the seat and then pick up her back end and make her get in the car.

Once in the car she doesnt move. she pants and whimpers and shakes. we cant drive with the windows down because she tries to jump out (she tried to jump out once when i was doing 70 down the highway!!)

Nothing tramatic has ever happened to her in my car but i rescued her so i dont know what happened before i got her. i always try to be gentle and pet her in the car and give her treats and try to show her that car rides arent a bad thing but she suts down and doesnt acknowledge that i am even there. once she is out of the car she is back to her old self...

I feel so awful when i have to put her in the car and how upset this makes her so i avoid it at all costs...which means gooming, vet, park, etc only happen when its absolutly neccessary.

HELP!!!!
~Jasmin08~

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Jasmin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

You need to get her used to the car first before the rides. Have you ever clicker trained? Is the car somewhere where she has to pass by it? Is the only time you grab the leash when you are going in the car? Does she like the park after she gets there? Dogs don't naturally like cars. Some dogs like being with their owners so they go. Some dogs know the car means the vet if that is the only time they get in. Mine know if only one is going it probably means the vet so the car is not so much fun. So you must get her to know that the car is not so bad. In the beginning of teaching the car is an Ok place, I would only take her to the park if that is a fun destination.

If you clicker train, I would click and treat everytime she walks by the car on her own when she knows she is not going. Not if she tries to go wide around it. Then I would leave the door open and watch her and everytime she looks or moves toward the door, click and treat. Up the ante from looking to moving toward. The other part of this is that she may feel car sick to some extent. So if that is the case, you would get her in the car. You get in and just sit there for 2 or 3 minutes and then let her out. Then turn the engine on as she gets more at ease. Then just go around the block. It is difficult to know what the trigger is. Also you could give her rescue remedy on days you know that you are going to try and train and/ or a must trip.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
My dog hates the car. He cries the whole ride to the vet and back. He thinks hes doing back to the pound. Clicker training I feel would make him more scared of the car then he already is. The dog wants to feel like he is safe in the car. You have to show him that no matter what, you won't let anything happen to him. I woulnd't force her into the car. I would try every day putting treats in that they love more then anything and having the door open, lightly say, its okay girl come on in. Be gentle. If she dont want to don't force it. just be done for the day. eventually she should get use to it. Forcing a dog whos been abused in the past is a BAD idea. Any sort of yelling, pushing could lead to the dog never liking the car. My dog was abused and he really hates the car. Hes getting use to it now that he knows hes comming home no matter what. If you can get somebody to drive you you can sit with her and pet her/comfert her. That too might really help.

Maybe your dog don't like car rides because maybe they get car sick? Next time you go to the vet let him look into her to see if she is felling sick after the ride. Your dog might of also processed that car ride= im sick.

I hope this helps a little.
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Jasmin08
New Around Here

i dont think she feels sick because if so then wouldnt she act a little strange once she got out of the car until she felt better? whenever she gets out of the car she immediatly goes back to being her jumpy playful happy-go-lucky self...

and since i have gotten her the only time we went on a "bad" trip was when we went to the vet once to have her stitches removed, but that was after we took several trips to the park (which she loves).

I think the clicker training is a great idea. i will have to try that.
~Jasmin08~

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Jasmin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
buggis
Been Around A While

I think K9 is right on about getting her used to the car, without actually going anywhere. Then, instead of just taking her in the car to go to the vet, start taking her fun places. Maybe for a walk in a new neighborhood or the dog park. Also, try hard not to show any anxiety about the situation yourself. Chances are if you are expecting a problem and dread it, you will somehow be communicating this to your dog. And, the dog may become even more insecure. All that said, I really respect you for working so hard with your dog on this. I have little dogs, so if worse comes to worse, I can just pick them up and put them where they need to be. You can't really do that with your big girl, so it must be very difficult. By the way, your dog is absolutely beautiful! St. Bernards are my favorite big dog. And, boxers are also wonderful. If you have any more pictures, please share!
buggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
LabpupsUK
Been Around A While

One of my labs, Harvey used to get car sick when he was a pup and I had to slowly get him used to just sitting in the boot, then short journeys, then longer ones, now he doesn't mind the car, but will always lay down and doesn't move for the journey so I think he still gets a bit car sick but is very good about it.

My other dog, what a difference, its a job just getting him to sit still as he is trying to look out of every window at the same time so he doesn't miss anything going past, poor Harv normally gets trodden on a few times as he is laying on the floor.
LabpupsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
erijane
New Around Here

My dog Madison hates the car in till we drive far enough that she knows we have past the vets office- then she is all wags because she knows we are headed to the park!

My other doggie Clyde loves going in the car- he dose hate the vets office but apparently the air conditioner in his face is enough to make him forget all about the looming threat of a vet visit in till we pull in...
erijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
kism
Site Regular

I have a dog that used to be the same way. I asked several people about this and one lady told me to take him for a ride that was only 10 minutes long. Then get him out and love him and let him get some water and a treat. I did that then they told me to take for another 10 minutes. And so on, all that worked now he just pants alot when we go away. But at least I am not cleaning up puk!
kism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
denmother
Been Around A While

erijane, that is so funny. i can just imagine madison wiping her brow with relief and letting out a sigh as you go past the vets.
denmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
GernBlansten
Been Around A While

One thing I would add, forgive me if I've missed this elsewhere: as you are working on this and she shows anxiety don't treat or praise until she becomes more relaxed as you might reward the wrong behavior.
GernBlansten is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic