Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > DRAWING FORUM » New Drawing Contest 2/16/08 to 4/1/08

Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #81
k9mania
Administrator

Ann I will get the book. Remember who is advocating this book; the AKC. How many of those dogs you called about were registered. I know I have been checking in my paper and at least half. So as long as breeders breed, the AKC wins whether they are good quality or not. I am not saying that shelters don't mismanage funds after all it is usually not business people running them. But here there are a lot of privately run no kill shelters and they barely make it. They end up with all the pittbull crosses. It would be fun to see something about the other side.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #82
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I bought the book at an adoption event a few weeks ago.
Amazingly, it was sponsored by a shelter.
The author has a website that I'm posting a link to, and you can also purchase the book there.
http://www.nathanwinograd.com/nathanwinograd_004.htm

Again, I'm willing to send the book to anyone here who would like to read it.
Just send a PM with your home address. If there's more than one, whoever I send it to can send it to the next.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #83
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
Ann I will get the book. Remember who is advocating this book; the AKC. How many of those dogs you called about were registered. I know I have been checking in my paper and at least half. So as long as breeders breed, the AKC wins whether they are good quality or not. I am not saying that shelters don't mismanage funds after all it is usually not business people running them. But here there are a lot of privately run no kill shelters and they barely make it. They end up with all the pittbull crosses. It would be fun to see something about the other side.
I should clarify what I said. I don't want to give any more donated money to county run shelters that don't have a No Kill policy. They already get my tax dollars and they're not spending the money the way I'd like them to.

As for the newspaper ads, probably 70% are AKC registered, some are CKC registered, others not registered at all.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #84
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I talked to the E.D. at our shelter this afternoon. She read what I had printed out and then asked me if I really thought mandatory licenses could be enforced. She thinks that only responsible owners and breeders would adhere to any legislation and that those that simply don't care would continue on as usual. Apparently the usual way to enforce legislation is to impound the transgressors dog, and if they fail to pay the fine to collect it, it simply becomes another dog to be dealt with in the shelter.
She was in favor of low cost spay/neuter programs, and said that the majority of the puppies and kittens that enter the shelter come from urban poor who never consider spending the money to spay or neuter their pets.
I asked what she thought could be done about people that continue to breed dogs that should probably not be bred, and her response was that breeders licenses have minimally slowed them down, that unscrupulous breeders will continue to breed their dogs. She told me to look up http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/petfriendlyguide.pdf and read it, so I thought I would also share that here.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #85
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

This whole venture has been rather discouraging to me, but I've never been one to give up on something I believe in.

I read two articles this morning re: the number of dogs killed in shelters each year and where they come from. Of the approximate 8 million dogs that die in shelters, well over 90% come from unqualified breeders.
By unqualified, I mean:
**Anyone who has a litter for fun, profit or by ‘accident’.
**Anyone who is so uninformed that they think having AKC papers means that their pet is breeding quality.
**Anyone who advertises their litters in the local paper for sale.
**Anyone who thinks that by finding their puppies good homes that they somehow don’t have to play by the rules or take responsibility. Many will still end up in the shelters.
**Anyone who thinks they found their litter good homes, simply because everyone that took one, smiled honestly and ‘promised’ to treat them well..
**Anyone who does or does not know the potential health problems of their breed and does not do health checks for these problems prior to breeding.

If licensing breeders has been a failure in the past, there must be a way to fine tune it enough to keep it from failing, or we need to find another way to work against this problem.
I simply can't stomach the thought of sitting back and doing nothing to try to stop the mindset that it's okay to keep breeding dogs for profit and to let the excess, unwanted dogs be destroyed.

Addendum: I still think requiring a license fee for breeders or owners of unaltered pets, even though it would be difficult to enforce, along with low cost spay/neuter programs would be the most efficient way of controlling the pet population. I DO think that breeders who are doing the right things, ie; health certs, looking at correct conformation, doing field tests should be exempt from any license fees. Any who have proof of these things are more than happy to show them.

Last edited by ann_hawes : 03-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > DRAWING FORUM