Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news » Pet food recall

Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Post Pet food recall

They have added more foods in the last 24 hours. Check cnn.com for more information. I am going to figure out how to post a petition for US citizens to send to Congress to require more FDA oversight in the making of pet food. It should be up by Thursday, the 12th. Remember those in Congress have pets too. Not that this could not have happened in a plant in the US, however, we keep sending work out to places that we do not have oversight into health, safety, and human rights issues.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Carol
Been Around A While

This involved 3 countries. That is what is scarey.
Menu Foods in Ontario CAN rec'd wheat gluten from
facility in Kansas USA who rec'd it from China.

It may be slow and grinding to make big changes, but this has certainly been a wake-up call for a lot of pet owners who were oblivious before.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Carol
Been Around A While

Now one of the Medi-Cal products is recalled.
This is sold by vets.
Goes to show you how so many use the same ingredients from the same source...even the expensive ones.
Yuck

Old 04-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
love4dogs
New Around Here

Since the petfood recall, I have been makeing my dogs homecooked food. It consists of veggies, chicken, rice and sometimes a little pasta. I use a base of Innova dry dogfood (which I think is very good). So far they go crazy for it and I don't have a problem with them not eating their meals anymore. I make the meals and freeze them for the week so it doesn't take a lot of my time each day. I had been thinking about doing this for sometime and now I'm going to stick with it.
love4dogs
love4dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Carol
Been Around A While

Homemade Dog Food

A 12 oz portion is suitable for one day’s ration for a 20 lb dog.
4 oz (1/2 cup) protein – any meat, chicken, fish or eggs (all cooked).
4 oz carbohydrate – for example cooked rice or grains, pasta, cooked cereals such as oatmeal, potatoes or even bread (packed tight when measuring).
4 oz vegetables – any cooked vegetables (obviously not potatoes or other high carbohydrates). Carrots, broccoli, turnips, green peppers, green beans, etc., but not onions which contain high sulfur content which is bad for dogs.
Simply mix the contents together or not as you choose.
While this basic diet is balanced it can be improved by some simple supplements.

To mix the basic supplement use
1 cup debittered brewers yeast
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups powdered milk
¼ cup powdered kelp
Mix together and store in a cool dry place.
To improve the diet quality add 1 tsp of the basic supplement for each 12 oz portion of the food mixture and 1 tsp vegetable oil (I prefer corn oil or flax oil since they have high content of linoleic acid which is good for the dog’s skin).
12 oz of the basic diet is appropriate for a 20 lb dog, you would double this daily ration for a 40 lb dog, triple it for a 60 lb dog or halve it for a 10 lb dog. Watch the dog’s weight and adjust portion sizes accordingly.

© Copyright Stanley Coren, reproduction by permission only.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Carol
Been Around A While

It just gets worse and worse.
Now Natural Balance even has a dry cat food and a dry dog food being recalled. They are both the venison formulas.
Certain biscuits and chews have been recalled by Sunshine.
Trouble is, there are so many brands involved because they are all owned by someone else, very hard to find all the info in one place.
I am sticking to cooking for my 2 dogs and if I don't get it right with the balanced nutrients, well at least I won't be poisoning them with toxic waste.

Good Luck and Good Health to all the pets.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
puppy_eyes007
New Around Here

Smile

Have you guys heard of Nutripet? This dog and cat food that has been safe. The company that makes it has nothin' to do with the big companies that has been havin' problems so the food is doin' good and will be doin' good.
FoXsy Girl
puppy_eyes007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
angie
New Around Here

Breed of dog

Hi Puppy eyes, may I ask the breed of your dog? He is so like my Ute Kajiki
The purity of a persons heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals
angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
jrheitm
New Around Here

Send a message via AIM to jrheitm
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Homemade Dog Food

A 12 oz portion is suitable for one day’s ration for a 20 lb dog.
4 oz (1/2 cup) protein – any meat, chicken, fish or eggs (all cooked).
4 oz carbohydrate – for example cooked rice or grains, pasta, cooked cereals such as oatmeal, potatoes or even bread (packed tight when measuring).
4 oz vegetables – any cooked vegetables (obviously not potatoes or other high carbohydrates). Carrots, broccoli, turnips, green peppers, green beans, etc., but not onions which contain high sulfur content which is bad for dogs.
Simply mix the contents together or not as you choose.
While this basic diet is balanced it can be improved by some simple supplements.

To mix the basic supplement use
1 cup debittered brewers yeast
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups powdered milk
¼ cup powdered kelp
Mix together and store in a cool dry place.
To improve the diet quality add 1 tsp of the basic supplement for each 12 oz portion of the food mixture and 1 tsp vegetable oil (I prefer corn oil or flax oil since they have high content of linoleic acid which is good for the dog’s skin).
12 oz of the basic diet is appropriate for a 20 lb dog, you would double this daily ration for a 40 lb dog, triple it for a 60 lb dog or halve it for a 10 lb dog. Watch the dog’s weight and adjust portion sizes accordingly.

© Copyright Stanley Coren, reproduction by permission only.

Hi! my name is Jenna. Im 18 years old and live in Ny.

i found this site while searching for dog recipes because i want my puppy, Buddy (a cockapoo that looks just like your cocker spaniel) growing up to be healthy. I heard that dog/cat foods contain a lot of junk that can kill their kidneys/liver etc. I also heard that there are euthanized animals, road kill and other disgusting things in their food... does anyone know for sure if this is true??

...well anyway...

that recipe sounds great I have been giving him eggs, pasta, and carrots, and 'Purina Puppy Chow' once/twice a day. (he is a ten pound, 15 week old puppy) except, i dont know how much or i should be giving him (and how many times a day). also, he loves the beneful wet food packages. so to sum everything up, i was wondering...

1. What is the best puppy food i can mix with the eggs, pasta, carrots.
2. If I even need to mix the puppy food with the 'human food'.
3. How many times a day i should feed him.
4. If anyone has tried the beneful wet food containers, and if they are okay for them.

thanks for the recipe!!!

gotta run!

get back to me please!
jrheitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
jrheitm
New Around Here

Send a message via AIM to jrheitm
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
Hi Puppy eyes, may I ask the breed of your dog? He is so like my Ute Kajiki

He looks like a schipperke!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schipperke

jrheitm is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news