Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » "Special needs dog"

Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

"Special needs dog"

Three years ago I got a Boston terrier from a high kill shelter. The only info I got was she was a throw away from a puppy mill, (guess she didn't have enough output), she had lived for three years in a 2'X2'X2' cage and I should expect some 'issues'.
The first two weeks were the worse she jumped from the couch to chairs to the top of the dinning room table breaking lamps, dishes you name it. She at first tore up every loose pillow in the house. Scaring the tar out of my other babies, but she showed no aggresion whatsoever.
After the initial few nerve wracking weeks things got better, she didn't cower in the corner and pee all over herself when ever we tried to get near.
At this time she is velcro, loves being petted, the best dog when it comes to not going potty in the house and all around sweet thing... BUT here is the one big issue she still has. She must have a stuffed animal at all times, she sucks on it, carries it all over and sleeps with it between her front paws. Then suddenly she kills it and our home is full of stuffing. She shreads it, then if I don't have a replacement, bed pillows are next.
I have learned to keep a stash of toys, or else. Even my handicapped son calls her "a special needs dog" (they have a great bond).
Does anyone have any idea why she has to suck on a toy only to kill it later?
lovemy4puppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Sounds like a stressed out pooch to me! Poor thing. The suckling is something I can relate to. Mozie suckled several holes in my bedspread when he first came home. Monte also suckles the throw I have on the couch and he's got an orange wiggly-giggly ball he carries everywhere with him. Since you've already had her for three years it doesn't seem like she's gonna get out of it on her own. She might need some doggy nerve pills or a dap collar. Try to get her off the stuffies and onto a hard rubber toy. Mine also do not have access to bedrooms unless I'm with them. Baby gates everywhere!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Sounds like a stressed out pooch to me! Poor thing. The suckling is something I can relate to. Mozie suckled several holes in my bedspread when he first came home. Monte also suckles the throw I have on the couch and he's got an orange wiggly-giggly ball he carries everywhere with him. Since you've already had her for three years it doesn't seem like she's gonna get out of it on her own. She might need some doggy nerve pills or a dap collar. Try to get her off the stuffies and onto a hard rubber toy. Mine also do not have access to bedrooms unless I'm with them. Baby gates everywhere!
We have hard toy's too. It actually looks like we have kids in the house again. Yes, she still has some problems but she is on my lap every evening and I just love the little sweetie. She tries so hard to please all of us. She just is quirky I guess. We do have a baby gate so she can't get downstairs. She likes the cats litter box. Yuck. If anyone thinks dogs are treated well in a puppymill they should have seen her when we first got her, lost chunks of dry fur, face all red from rubbing her face on the metal bars, now she glows!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Considering her history or neglect and abuse, if the only thing she does is the occassionaly toy-a-cide then consider yourself lucky. I agree with MT3 that it is stress related. Do you have an no door kennel which she can come and go to when she is feeling stressed? It may sound counter to giving her her freedom but sometimes it is too much freedom or open space that can be stressful for these pups. Give her a space that allows her to hide, maybe even cover it with a towel or blanket so that she can come and go freely when stressed.

Just a thought.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
I don't know much about the subject myself, but I remember a link about it being posted on another forum and thought it might be some help to you. Here it is: http://www.dogbehaviour.com/articles...ectsucking.htm
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Considering her history or neglect and abuse, if the only thing she does is the occassionaly toy-a-cide then consider yourself lucky. I agree with MT3 that it is stress related. Do you have an no door kennel which she can come and go to when she is feeling stressed? It may sound counter to giving her her freedom but sometimes it is too much freedom or open space that can be stressful for these pups. Give her a space that allows her to hide, maybe even cover it with a towel or blanket so that she can come and go freely when stressed.

Just a thought.
We have a crate in the walk in closet and the door is always left open during the day. When she gets a little weird I will find her in there sleeping. Most times though, she will knock down my husbands coat and make it into a nest. I agree, a occasional snow shower in the house with stuffing all over is a small price to pay. She tries so hard now to please. Try to get her to do a trick and you just can't say "Good girl" or she wags her stumply little tail so hard she looses her balance. She is a hoot!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
I don't know much about the subject myself, but I remember a link about it being posted on another forum and thought it might be some help to you. Here it is: http://www.dogbehaviour.com/articles...ectsucking.htm
This was the best article I have seen on the subject. I like it! Who cares why, if it makes her happy and more relaxed I will keep getting her toys. Thank goodness warm weather is around the corner, the Flea Market is usually a great place to pick these up. Don't worry, I never get anything with plastic eyes!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4puppies View Post
This was the best article I have seen on the subject. I like it! Who cares why, if it makes her happy and more relaxed I will keep getting her toys. Thank goodness warm weather is around the corner, the Flea Market is usually a great place to pick these up. Don't worry, I never get anything with plastic eyes!
Glad it helped! Heheh ya stay away from plastic eyes, when Junior gets a chew toy its the first thing he chews off, so I always keep an eye on him.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

poor lil one for being abused before. glad she has such a great owner like you now it seems!

i just read that article as well and it is quite interesting. *thumbs up*
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic