Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » Very Insecure Golden Retriever. Please help!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
AngelPuppyWings3
New Around Here

Question Very Insecure Golden Retriever. Please help!

He's a 3 year old Golden Retriever, and we are his fourth owner. The first was the breeder, 2nd was an older who took on too much, 3rd was a younger couple who gave him up because they had a new baby and He kept marking his territory on the babies things.

At present, he is still having problems. He has marked his territory inside my house. The vacuum, the laundry baskets, the dog bed, and he also marks the same spot my other two females pee'd or pooped on.

He whines ALOT. He obsessively carries around his blanket and whines. I don't see this as stable behavior.
We have a new female golden my friend gave to me because they can't keep her. And now all he tries to do is mount her, and lick her genitalia. It's constant, and getting extremely aggravating.
We're having difficulty stopping his behavior and/or to control it and fix it.
The young female had an accident in the house, and RIGHT in front of us, the male started peeing on top of that.
We love them all and want to keep them.
And we know, giving up the male will only make his insecurities and anxieties etc worse.

Can anyone please help? My final decision is to talk to a behaviorist. I've done all I can from my research and readings.
Any ideas would help please.

Yes, I do know about the Dog Whisperer as well. Thank you

I do walk them everyday. I use a belly band because our house is brand new. He is not neutered yet because there's a wait for neutering in our small town. Our females are not close to a heat. I believe that in his past he had been abused.

He has his own safe kennel as well.
Amykins
AngelPuppyWings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

Do you put him out after his marking behavior? I would get a good behaviorist. With the new dog you have added another stressor to his life. That just adds to helping him. Do you have acupuncturist there that might be able to give him some herbs while waiting for a behaviorist? I have a very insecure, obsessive-compulsive female who the herbs helped some of her behaviors. Enough that training worked better. Keep us posted and good luck. My neurotic one is over 9 years old now and I have had her for over 8. It is a challenge but if you find the right recipe the change is reward for all the endless pulling your hair out. This dog may need a home with no children or other dogs.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

First let me say that I am Not a behaviorist or a professional dog trainer ... but I've owned or been around dogs for almost 50 years.

Although the dog's past is important to know, you should only use that info to form a plan to move forward.

It sounds to me that the dog is insecure and suffering from low self esteem do to the fact that is has been shuffled around from home to home. To make this even worse ... it NOW has to deal with another dog and it feels that its possition in the pack has changed AGAIN. The "over marking" of territory is proof of that!

Ive seen many dogs do this, (including Neka to a limited extent when I first got her). The best way to deal with this kind of problem is to use ONLY POSITIVE REWARDS in training. Use ONLY a calm voice, and use treats, lavish praise and lots of patences. Do NOT yell or speek in harsh tones. It will only make things worse.

When you pet or reward dont go over the top of the dog. This is seen as dominance. Use chest and chin scratching and always crouch down in front of the dog if you are going to come up from in front of the dog. You need to build up the dog's confidence and self esteem. Spend time ALONE with him and play catch, go for long walks and just be a calm and confident leader to him.

No matter what you choose to do, I'd still recomend talking to a local behaviorist as they will be able to do a "eyes on" evaluation and may see something that you may not have noticed or may see something differently.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

You are on the waiting list for neutering? it is no cure all, but a must in this case. Unless you are doing the serious study needed to produce quality dogs, yoou should get the females spayed too. To understand what real breeders do, see http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/images/breeding-off.jpg

Here are some things to build his confidence and give all your dogs the leadership they need. You can't do all of them with grown Goldens. ''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
sandyb
Been Around A While

We recently rehoused a 4 year old goldie - he was marking inside and mounting my female spayed goldie all the time too, until we got him neutered. Within a couple of weeks it all stopped. Of course he was more settled with us by then as well, but he's turned into a great pet, a big teddy bear. Hang in there, have patience with him, and explain the situation to your vet and see if he can be neutered soon. Good luck. Keep us up to date with your progress.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Furbilator
Been Around A While

This is all related to the fact that the dog isn't neutered around an intact female. Even when the female is not in heat a young male may try to mount her or stimulate copulation cooperation by licking her genitals often. By doing this he cements his role as her mate for when she IS in heat. Because he doesn't have a permanent place (in his mind) in the pack, he acts like a satellite male, meaning he is trying to mate and dominate (pee) as much as he can without getting into a direct confrontation with the pack leader (you). The urinating over all scents is a way of him marking his turf over your scent and the female's scent.

Get him neutered and her spayed. You shouldn't be breeding or risk an accidental breeding anyway, your too inexperienced (hence your post). All rescued animals should be spayed and neutered as you cannot prove their breeding quality and if those dogs were unwanted then their puppies will be too.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
This is all related to the fact that the dog isn't neutered around an intact female. Even when the female is not in heat a young male may try to mount her or stimulate copulation cooperation by licking her genitals often. By doing this he cements his role as her mate for when she IS in heat. Because he doesn't have a permanent place (in his mind) in the pack, he acts like a satellite male, meaning he is trying to mate and dominate (pee) as much as he can without getting into a direct confrontation with the pack leader (you). The urinating over all scents is a way of him marking his turf over your scent and the female's scent.

Get him neutered and her spayed. You shouldn't be breeding or risk an accidental breeding anyway, your too inexperienced (hence your post). All rescued animals should be spayed and neutered as you cannot prove their breeding quality and if those dogs were unwanted then their puppies will be too.
I have to go along with the Furbilator and Labman. For some reason I missed the last paragraph in your original post. sorry!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

everything I was going to add was already mentioned..so I will just say...take the suggestions frmo above, work with him and help him raise his self esteem. Poor guy just is scared he might not be loved again. Just give it some time, love, training, oh..and neutering!

good luck and keep us posted!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic