Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » New Female Dog

Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Question New Female Dog

We got a new female beagle X dachund she is under 1 year old. (1 year in October) and she was actually the sister of our dog, Midnight(as some may have read about him earlier on in the year). She belonged to my brother-in-law, and his wife, and the stories we heard made us nearly hate them. Constant screaming, hitting, scolding, no praise, no coddling, no love. They had another dog, a Rat Terrier, but we couldn't take her, because she was older (8 years old) and fought with our 8 year old Labrador Retriever X Unknown Terrier. But we rescued the beagle named Bella, and sent the Rat Terrier named Rocky off to my father-in-law's house. They were going to shoot them both for being loud and obnoxious with a new baby in the house. *Rolls Eyes*

Anyway, we now have this dog, Bella, and she is very VERY sweet, but she is extremely afraid of me, and you cannot raise your voice higher than normal level, she refuses to play, she is VERY skittish during storms and when visitors come to the house, and she will not sleep, at all, unless we let her hide underneath our covers at our feet (she won't sleep above the covers, and she won't sleep away from my husband).

It is quite cute to see her snuggling with my husband, but she hangs on to him for dear life. He has tried being a little more strong with her, saying "no, get down", "go lay down, Bella" etc...But it just does not work. She has shown shy aggressiveness towards some visitors (especially females) and she does not take well to me. She has not bitten anyone, but has threatened it.

We do NOT want to get rid of the dog, but we don't want any real problems. There are no children in the household at the time, but it is considered in the future. She has come a long way from where she's started, when she first came she wouldn't get out from under the couch. She has been moved into different houses (not different families) three times before we grabbed her.

If anyone has any advice, please let us know.

P.S. Please give me about a week to respond, as we have no access to the net except for at the Library (storm took it out).
ButterflySlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I have this with Conner to, no aggression, he is just genetically shy.
Try to start small with her, just little baby steps and each little time she shows even the smallest step to trying to sniff or anything praise her. Another method would have to be very consistant on your part for right now, carry treats with you, every time you see her give her a treat, that will help her make the association that you mean treats and you are good. Then once more confident with that venture out a little, maybe get a neighbor or friend that could help you. Have the friend (someone you see frequently) give her treats everytime.
With conner I take him to school everyday to pick up my daughter. At first he would just freeze and pull away when we walked by this house with little weenie dogs that bark. He would do the same to the garbage cans and anything else strange. Now when we walk to school he is confident and will walk calmly all the way there. He will greet the crossing guard, who is a dog friendly person, he will greet my daughters friends mom, and last week the other neighbors started bringing there dogs and he will greet the one little one and is getting closer to greeting the bigger one. It has been a hard road and lots of baby steps and lots of patience.
With the sleeping thing maybe a covered crate would be good. make a safe place for her to go when she feels uncomfortable. Keep it in the bedroom to start, then just gradually move it to busier places in the home. I will make her feel safe but also let her experience the noises and movements of the home.
I am not a certified trainer yet but I am working on it. Conner is starting puppy classes on Sat. to help with his socialization, the doggie park was to much to fast for him so this will be a great way to help him out.
Also find things and areas that make her comfortable, use those to branch out to other areas. The biggest thing is don't feel sorry for her, don't fuss to much if she's afraid, if you do that you will only be reinforcing that behavior. so try to find things she's not afraid of and start there, the other stuff will come with consistancy and time.
Good luck with your baby and I hope some of this can help you.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i would see if the vet could give you some DAP plugins for the rooms she goes in they are pheramones from mums which calm them down it works on adult dogs too and helps anxious dogs feel more relaxed. i would also suggest you take a leading role in her care by walking and feeding even if you have to put the food in your hands to feed her at first i would also ween her off the bed issue may be get a small crate put it by the bed and put her in it half cover it but leave it on your husbands side to start with so she can see him put one of his shirts in it that he has worn so it has his scent on.
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic