Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Insane Lab!!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
jooley64
New Around Here

Question Insane Lab!!

Help!
Last year I 'adopted' a 3 year old choc lab, my son used to walk him and the owner decided to rehome him.
He is gorgeous, but unfortunately is totally neurotic, as was his previous owner!
How can I stop him from picking things up constantly when i walk into the room, his favorite is shoes, but followed by any socks, if there is a pile of laundry being sorted i have a lot of odd socks!
He also does this whining noise when he's holding things which is a bit trying after a while!! any tips for behaviour modification?
jooley64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Shelley02
Site Regular

A 3yr old lab needs a lot of exercise or it will become destructive and barky.
What he's doing is natural for a lab. he's retrieving stuff. Get him some of his own sturdy things and throw them for him to fetch and reward him. When he takes something not his, take it away with a firm no and give him one of his own toys. A big raw knuckle bone will do wonders to keep him busy.This dog needs at least 2 hrs of free running in the bush or swimming and retrieving.
Shelley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
k9mania
Administrator

Kong toys are good. Make sure any toy you get is very sturdy because labs love to chew through things. There are also the types of toys that make noise and have lights. These keep neurotic type dogs very busy. But it does need lots of exercise or it will bark and chew.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly