Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Having a LITTLE trouble with my Boxer.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
TrasiGator
Site Regular

Having a LITTLE trouble with my Boxer.

I have a 9 month old Boxer. I have had him for about 2 months now. He was a stray that I brought home to eat and was then going to take him to a friend of mine who fosters dogs. I obviously fell in love with him that night and seeing as I have another 9 month old APBT, and they got along, I felt like I couldn't seperate the two of them. Bruce, as I named the Boxer, was wonderful at first. He picked up on his name really fast and would sit and come. He only took about 2 days to housebreak! (This dog had previously belong to someone, until that guy felt like raising a puppy was too much for him, the dog was going to be shot, someone else took him and then abandoned him - so I know that has A LOT to do with how well he behaved for me.) Well, as Bruce is "comming out of his shell" he isn't behaving quite so well anymore. I know how to deal with everything except his letting himself out (or in, mostly in).

Bruce is an expert at opening doors. I have not found a door that he can't open. Unfortunately I have the lever type on most of my doors that are extreemly easy for him. I have been keeping the doors around the house locked to help control him moving about freely, but I must admit, having to make sure you have your keys with you when you have to get up in the middle of the night is a bit of a pain. I am doing my best at saying NO whenever I catch him doing this, but, the problem is that I don't catch him actually doing it very often. Any advice on breaking this behavior would be GREATLY appreciated!

(This is a bad picture, but you can see that Bruce is actually 'standing up' to open the door like a person, he is even looking at the doorhandle while he does it)
TrasiGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
iluvthehills
New Around Here

Well...

This may not be very helpful but I would really like to help and well, they have training lessons at PetCo if you really need them, they can do at home services. They usually vary around 100 to 150 dollars. Sorry if this really doesn't help.
ILuvTheHills
iluvthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
shell
Been Around A While

Does he use his paws or his mouth to open the doors? If he uses his mouth, why not try an anti-chewing spray from your pet store? Or a simple mixture of 1 part lemon juice, 1 part rubbing alcohol, + a few drops of tobasco sauce. Spray it on the doornobs and the taste should discorage the behavior. Good luck!
shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
rocky
Banned

Red face boxer opening doors

first to say you found yourself a very smart dog! i would keep with the saying no and i would also try to keep at least the doors leading to the outside locked at all times. i would also try a crate when you can not supervise him. all i'm sure the pet stores or vet in your area should have some kind of spray to spray on the door that would give him a not so nice taste in his mouth when he trys to open the door that may make him stop give it a try and good luck
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
TrasiGator
Site Regular

If only it were that easy

The problem with Brucy here, is that he does not use his mouth to open the door. He stands on his back legs, one paw on the frame the other on the door knob. It is actually pretty facinating to watch. He is really intent on what he is doing, he even looks at the door knob instead of the door - he KNOWS that is the part he needs to focus on. I went and talked to a professional trainer in the area. She couldn't think of anything. First thing to come to her mind was the sour apple stuff too... Until I explained to her what he was really doing. She told me to just keep saying no when I caught him, put him in a 10 or 15 minute time out, deprive him of attention after he does it, just lock 'em up. We are working on it... interested to see how long it takes to break this behavior.
*Trasi*
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Suz23
Been Around A While

Lol bless him - can truly sympathise our Border Collie used to open doors, still can if the mood takes him (the latest was firework night last year and he opened the front door - not funny specially as we didnt know he could open that one.)

We tried everything - resorted to locks on any doors we didnt want him opening - just little bolts did the job fine.

Hard one locking him up when he does it - where would you shut him? It needs to be somewhere you can get him to in 2 seconds of the behaviour otherwise you run the risk of him associating the punishment with something else.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
toppers
Been Around A While

I got a Dane several years ago, they too can open doors!! The only cure was to install safety chains on exterior main doors and to install round knobs on all internall doors. Mental stimulation also helped, getting him to concentrate on something else!!! I also had a Boxer.Don't give up. They are worth the hard work!!
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
lamper
Site Regular

You could put a small shoot bolt on each door. But at the top, because my old GSD used to undo shoot bolts as well as door handles. Even the round ones, she would turn with her mouth.
lamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
TrasiGator
Site Regular

And it progresses

I came home from work today to find all of my dogs running around in front of the house. WA-HOO! The door that I find open? The front door, the one that has a dead bolt on it. Yes, the dog turned the deadbolt and opened the door. Unbelievable. The only way he could have learned to do that is by watching me unlock the deadbolt and figuring out you have to do that before you open the door. That one he had to have turned with his mouth though - Sour apple goo, here I come. Hoping if he tries to do it tomorrow and gets a mouth full of that stuff he will leave the doors alone in general. Just in case it doesn't work that way, I have all the neighbors on the look out
*Trasi*
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
katrina
Been Around A While

this is a little late but there are door knob covers made to keep kids from opening them for these kind of knobs it might help
katrina is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly