Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Doberman Issues

Old 06-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
NanjoDogz
New Around Here

Doberman Issues

My Dobie is perfect in every way except one -- the tennis ball. She is so smart, loving, gentle and an all around wonderful dog. It's when we're outside and she has a tennis ball -- in the house she's fine, let's me take it from her, actually she acts like she doesnt even want it, but when we get outside -- she becomes totally insane. I don't know if she thinks other dogs are going to get it or what, but she WILL NOT let me take it from her, she will even start to growl at me if I try. She hates to put it down and will remain fixated on it if I can get it out of her mouth, which isn't often. I can't take her to the dog park in fear that someone will have a tennis ball.

Anyone else have any of these possession issues?
NanjoDogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
get a second tennis ball and throw it when she has attention on it it may feel like cheeting but it allows you to swap or exchange with out causing confrontation and reduses the posessiveness.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
NanjoDogz
New Around Here

Thanks so much

I'm going to give that a try -- sounds like a good idea. I'm going to work with her next week with that technique and see if it'll work. Treats only work for a short time, then she gets bored with the treats and becomes fixated on the ball.
NanjoDogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

So, you could try to show himt that the ball is yours, so he feels priveledged to have itt. Thats way he does not get to posesive. YOu could put him in a kennal or like in time out when he growls or will not give it back. i danno
good luck

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Dobe1
New Around Here

It must be a doberman thing, as mine does exactly the same, although when he has the toy/ball he will not come back to me to have his lead on, saying this he is quite funny as he will go behind a bush and drop the toy/ball then come to me, I then have to go and fetch the toy/ball which he doesn't mind me doing, so I guess it is a possessiveness issue. In the house he gladly brings me his toys and drops them at my feet or if I am really lucky in my lap!!!! The 2 ball idea sounds good, let me know how you get on with it. Out of interest, do you have children, I have put his behaviour down to him being possessive of his toys as the kids are with theirs. Be great to see a picture, absolutely love dobies.
Dobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly