Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Having a LITTLE trouble with my Boxer.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
TrasiGator
Site Regular

Ya wanna hear something else?

Oh, while I am online, and instead of starting a new thread, do you all want to read about the problem I am having with my other dog. This one is easy to fix, but its kind of interesting to me. My Pit Bull, Beef, loves to attck water.
Beef's favorite toy is the garden hose. I found it half way in the house (covered in mud of course) last night at about 1 am. Bruce had been nice enough to open the door and allow Beef to bring his "toy" inside. Anyway. I can not water my plants, put a sprinkler down, or do anything concerning water while Beef is outside. It is actually rather funny to watch, no matter how hard the water is comming at it, he is going to comp at it. Now, if only it was spraying water that was the biggest issue. His water bowl now has to remain empty except for when I am supervising because he "diggs" into his water, splashing it everywhere and then he picks the bowl up and tosses it around and plays with it. It is hilarious and infuriating at the same time! You name it, if it has water, it is his best friend. My biggest struggle now adays is trying to give him a bath
*Trasi*
TrasiGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
oooppps i too have had this problem and i even had to put a lock and chain on the fridge door, how ever i now dont need any bolts on any door, how i used a burgle alarm. one that reacts to vibration the type you put on sheds and windows, battery operated and when i put my dogs where i want them i stick the alarm on the opposite side of the door, and switch on i the dog jumps or scatches the door the alarm gives of a piorsing sound and the dogs dont like the alarm and it only rings for a short time this soon stopped my dogs from doing the doors.

i also taught them the stay and then once i could leave for tem mins i trained by similar technique the settle which ment the dogs could wander in the room but not try and leave. hope this helps
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

i love boxers

Well, you should definatly watch your dog and when he shows this behavier,make sure you correct it with a "sit". If it is trying to open the door, make him sit in front of it and wait patciently for like 30 sec. Then show him the you are the boss by going out the door first, and then telling him to come. Or simply practice sitting in front of the door and then open it for him.
good luck

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
TrasiGator
Site Regular

Oh I have tried the sit thing. He now will not try and open a door while I am in sight, but, thats not when its the problem. He is getting better. Just takes a lot of effort. I think the sour apple on the dead bolt got him as well God I would have LOVED to see that one!

Oh, and please don't take this as sarcasim - but if you can find a way to make 7 dogs (4 that are 9 months old) all sit still for more than 10 seconds at a time, please let me know! If he was just letting himself in and out it wouldn't be as big of a problem... SO many dogs around here, but I love every single one of them!
*Trasi*
Old 06-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #15
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

lol, i had not idea you had so many dogs.I only have on, but i get what you are saying... totaly crazyness!lol But i gues you got it on your own. I danno what i am talking about exspecially at 10:30 on a Monday!

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
toppers
Been Around A While

I was telling my young daughter (aged 7) all about your clever boxer. Not to be out done she said:
"Mummy, Willow can open doors as well, he's clever too."
"How so?" asked I, he is after all a mini daxie and cannot reach door handles.
" Well he sits at the door..." said she "....and scratches it and whimpers"
How true, I have an intelligent dog who has his owner wrapped around his little finger (paw), because everytime he scratches at the door I automatically get up and open the door for him!!
All the best with solving your problem of a door opening Boxer!!
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #17
toppers
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrasiGator View Post
Oh I have tried the sit thing. He now will not try and open a door while I am in sight, but, thats not when its the problem. He is getting better. Just takes a lot of effort. I think the sour apple on the dead bolt got him as well God I would have LOVED to see that one!

Oh, and please don't take this as sarcasim - but if you can find a way to make 7 dogs (4 that are 9 months old) all sit still for more than 10 seconds at a time, please let me know! If he was just letting himself in and out it wouldn't be as big of a problem... SO many dogs around here, but I love every single one of them!
Hi
A few months ago I had 7 dogs (we lost 2 to old age). I trained them to sit seperately. 20 mins each, each day on their own. A dog cannot concentrate if another dog is distracting it! When I knew that they could all sit on command, alone, I then began getting them to do it together a couple of dogs at a time (with a hand full of treats). I got to a point where all the dogs would sit at the same time, one of them was deaf so I had to use hand signals as well as voice command. Imagine the scene- A Great dane, a Boxer and 5 Mini Dachshunds!!! I even managed to teach them to sit without a treat!! it can be done. Only train one dog at a time to avoid distractions!!
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
TrasiGator
Site Regular

We are trying to get everyone to sit seperately - it is a battle of wills. Especially with the Pit, he is young and in that phase where he knows what he is supposed to do, but is going to make you go through hell and high water to get him to do it. When one doesn't behave the other ones sure as heck aren't going to. So, we are doing pinch collar training and clicker training and I have actually put him in a daycare with a professional trainer. She tells me that the "you aren't the boss of me!" phase is actually quite common in pit bulls and that this is really the make or break time when it comes to letting him know that I'm the alpha. I am actually thinking about putting my clever boxer in daycare with his brother and having her tell me how to get through to him too! This is actually the lady that we adopted Beef from and she is wonderful. I can get through to the dogs up to a certain point but when I work all day and then have to try to come home and deal with ALL of them and have everyone get their training in - they aren't getting all of the attention that they need. We are going to see how a professional behaviorist working with them works out
*Trasi*

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly