Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Re-house training an Older dog

Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
agatti20
New Around Here

Re-house training an Older dog

My girlfriend has a 5 or 6 year old female pekingese named Mika. She's had here about a year and a half now, when she first got her, Mika had a few accidents on my carpet, but quickly learned to tell us she needed out. Recently I adopted an Golden Ret./Lab mix. Mika is very jelouse and is been pooping and pee'ing all over my house. I think half the battle is non consistent correction of this behavior, I smack the dog and put her nose in it and put her in her kennle or make her stay somewhere. Half the time my girlfriend doen't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm sure its partially a jealousy issue.

Thanks,

Aaron
agatti20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
Unhappy mmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

please stop smaking and rubing noses into the toilet, you realy would not like it done to you if you made a mistake. this could be an attention issue in which you are to blame as your dog feels neglected and if they think the only way they can get you to take notice of them is by hitting them and rubbing their nose in their own toilet then something is wrong, yes this could be jelousy so start training and treating both dogs the same.

put both onto a toilting regime as you may not have noticed the other dog toilting and this has encouraged the second to do the same. clean house with biological soap poowder as the enzymes will remove odours that attract other animals to toilet in the same place even when we cannot smell it.

the lproblem dog may have noticed that puppy was getting a lot of attention when being trained to toilet correctly so wanted that attention too, SO GIVE IT, toilet both after sleep, meals, drinks, play and exercise. take both out side and play with them until they do both their business out side give lots of praise and rewards.

if either do inside stop at once lead straight out side give a short no and leave out side egnore dog until they toilet out side following the last incident. once toilted paraise and reward. if you find poo or wee but dont know who or when done which means it was not started infront of you, just clean up and egnore both dogs. no smaking looking or going who did this.

if your girl friend does not stick to the rules warn her its her or the dogs. people need more training than dogs mostly and both of you need to change your treatment of your dogs. mainly praise and reward good and desired behaviour and egnore the dog when behaving badly and most of all when training or reprimanding any animal remember to think would ;you like to be treated this way or would you be allowed to treat a child or and adult in such away if it means no then please do not do it.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Borders4

Talking

Dobetaztic is correct. The other dog could be jealous of the time spent with the other dog. You should follow the dogs out and when the do their business outside...reward them and say something like good potty. Do this as they are doing their business so they know that is what they are getting rewarded for. Also, as you see them start to go " say potty" and then "good potty" as they finish. Many people who compete in flyball and other competitions have done this to make sure the dogs understand to go potty prior to competition because they can be disqualified if they potty on the course. You can even give them treats randomly when you say good potty. You do not want to do that all of the time because they will expect. Many times, much like with kids, we spend more time telling them what not to do than praising them for behaviors we prefer.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #4
NewfRyder
New Around Here

Lightbulb attention seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic
please stop smaking and rubing noses into the toilet, you realy would not like it done to you if you made a mistake. this could be an attention issue in which you are to blame as your dog feels neglected and if they think the only way they can get you to take notice of them is by hitting them and rubbing their nose in their own toilet then something is wrong, yes this could be jelousy so start training and treating both dogs the same.

put both onto a toilting regime as you may not have noticed the other dog toilting and this has encouraged the second to do the same. clean house with biological soap poowder as the enzymes will remove odours that attract other animals to toilet in the same place even when we cannot smell it.

the lproblem dog may have noticed that puppy was getting a lot of attention when being trained to toilet correctly so wanted that attention too, SO GIVE IT, toilet both after sleep, meals, drinks, play and exercise. take both out side and play with them until they do both their business out side give lots of praise and rewards.

if either do inside stop at once lead straight out side give a short no and leave out side egnore dog until they toilet out side following the last incident. once toilted paraise and reward. if you find poo or wee but dont know who or when done which means it was not started infront of you, just clean up and egnore both dogs. no smaking looking or going who did this.

if your girl friend does not stick to the rules warn her its her or the dogs. people need more training than dogs mostly and both of you need to change your treatment of your dogs. mainly praise and reward good and desired behaviour and egnore the dog when behaving badly and most of all when training or reprimanding any animal remember to think would ;you like to be treated this way or would you be allowed to treat a child or and adult in such away if it means no then please do not do it.
I read in a training manual somewhere that if a dog is toileting to get attention and you go straight and clean it you are supplying the required attention.
I would put the dog outside and not within view before I clened it and then work on praise and reward when they did it outside.
I would not use physical punishment.
Goodluck
NewfRyder
NewfRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
Carol
Been Around A While

when I first got Casey a 5 yr old cocker spaniel, she had an accident on the floor and I realized she did not have the knowledge of how to tell me she had to go out. I quickly put her outside on her leash while I cleaned up the mess and when she went again outside I praised her and gave her a biscuit.
I immediately started taking her outside ever hour or so and walked her around the neighbourhood and whenever she did her poop and pee, praised her excessively. After a few weeks of being taken out so much and no accidents, she rewarded my efforts by scratching on the back door to be let out. I was so thrilled, and made such a fuss it was like a momma with the toddler going on his own for the first time.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. When a big change happens in a dog's life (like a new housemate) it is time for the humans to act like the pack leaders they are so supposed to be and teach the dogs the behaviour you expect.
Never punish a dog or he will find a new place to do it that you won't find so easily.....sniff sniff...hmmm wonder where that is? arghhhhh...not my shoes!
Reward the proper behaviour......By the way, some dogs need to go out quite often in certain situations when they are under some stress.
Good Luck!
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
doxiecrazy
New Around Here

When we first brought my rescued, older dachshund home, we had to re-train her. Of course, I'm wondering if she was just "marking her territory". She had to establish dominance with my other dog. Anyway, I just made her go outside everytime she ate or drank, and she finally got it.

Kathleen
My dachshunds OWN me!

Potty training resources:

http://www.potty-professor.com/?hop=jumpmom2
doxiecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly