Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » New GREAT Puppy...just not around strangers

Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
bhaney
New Around Here

Exclamation New GREAT Puppy...just not around strangers

We have had Cane...our Black Lab for almost 4 months, he is a great dog...most of the time. He is starting to listen well...not exactly to me yet, he knows how to sit, lay down, speak and shake. But when family members or friends come around, he won't listen. He will jump, bite (playfully) on anyone and everyone. We TRY to tell him no, but he wont listen and we have to end up putting him in his cage. My husband tells me that Cane has to get used to people...but im not exactly sure how?! We don't have any kind of dog park where I live, and not too many people come over enough for him to get used to them.
Also when he sees a dog down the street...he will dart...he wont listen or look back. The other day, he ran off and we were looking for him for about an hour (he was chasing a dog). How do we get him to stay in his own yard?
Ok, last thing. Cane doesn't all the time respect me. If I threaten him, or tell him no, he will either bark at me or run off and make me chase him around the house....any suggestions would be great! THANKS!!!
Bryn
bhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
Athena
New Around Here

Is Cane neutered and do you have any puppy classes around your area?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
Talking what does cane like

you need to find out what makes cane tick, is it food, toys, praise. once you have found out what it is then use this to get canes interest when new people come in or out on walks. j

to stop jumping every one needs to follow some not so simple rules.
1. when any one enters room where canes is egnore him this means no looking touching, or stroking or speaking.
2. only acknowledge cane when he is quietly standing or sitting, clamly stroke or say good dog and or reward with treat or toy.
3. stop attention if jumps up and egnore again.

WARNING problem will get worse for a couple of days while cane tries his luck but dont give in or tell off stick to your guns you will soon see the change it takes a week tjo two but this method will only work if every one sticks to the rules.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
k9mania
Administrator

Also when getting Cane to stop jumping on people. Try and use the command off when getting him to get down so that down is for lying down. It becomes confusing when a command means multiple behaviors. Everyone has to use the same commands for the same behavior.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
NewfRyder
New Around Here

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaney
We have had Cane...our Black Lab for almost 4 months, he is a great dog...most of the time. He is starting to listen well...not exactly to me yet, he knows how to sit, lay down, speak and shake. But when family members or friends come around, he won't listen. He will jump, bite (playfully) on anyone and everyone. We TRY to tell him no, but he wont listen and we have to end up putting him in his cage. My husband tells me that Cane has to get used to people...but im not exactly sure how?! We don't have any kind of dog park where I live, and not too many people come over enough for him to get used to them.
Also when he sees a dog down the street...he will dart...he wont listen or look back. The other day, he ran off and we were looking for him for about an hour (he was chasing a dog). How do we get him to stay in his own yard?
Ok, last thing. Cane doesn't all the time respect me. If I threaten him, or tell him no, he will either bark at me or run off and make me chase him around the house....any suggestions would be great! THANKS!!!
Bryn
I have a 56kg Newfoundland, and have found that firm gentle consistancy is the best way to go.
Having said that she can still pull on her lead when in public.
My family raised Golden Labs for years then got a black and found her to be by nature not as out going as the golden. But still a beautiful dog.
With My dog from a young age when she jumped I gently held her ears, taking care not to hurt her.
this is not a comfortable thing and once associated with jumping it stopped completly.
In the beginning with dogs in the park, when I saw them comming I sat her down off the path and had a treat ready if she stayed there, I had more control over her when she was on the ground.
Newfs are very sensitive to critisism and so a firm no is all I use to repremand her and if she is really badly behaved I tell her to go and turn my back on her,
at two she knows when she has done the wrong thing and after a while associates it with the action.
Labs are more resiliant to critisim and this may take longer but I have found the use of key words really valuable.
I hope this is helpful, this is the first time I have contacted K9mania and would be pleased to hear how you go.
Regards NewfRyder
NewfRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Carol
Been Around A While

Before Casey, My dog of choice was always a Lab....I had a few of them.
They are loyal and sweet and loveable but totally impulsive and very very strong. My last lab was Lady and she weighed about 130 lbs. I had to have a special harness made for her head that imitated a "halti" where the leash attaches to the bottom under the chin.
She had previously been owned by a male who went off to college. She was very well trained by K9 the people who train the police dogs. They came and deprogrammed her for me to see what I could do to get her to obey me. She had run up to me and knocked me on my keester and I could not afford this behaviour.
It turned out that my voice was a little too high for some of the commands. I was not supposed to repeat the command...but make a gutteral sound after giving the command if she did not obey immediately.
After a bit of practise, Lady and I got along famously and the harness likely saved me from having my shoulder pulled out of its socket. She turned out to be a very well behaved dog once her owner was trained LOL
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly