Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Rainbow Bridge » Jake

Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Jake

My uncles dog Jake, a lab mix, was put to sleep Saturday, the 15th.

I am sorry to say he was suffering for many years, and his human parents let him.

I have never been glad or releved to hear that a dog has passed away, but this time it was true...

He was 18 years old, and for the past 3 years he had been blind, had crippling arthritis and over the last few years lost weight to the point he was bones. They kept a sweater on him at all times, I think to hide what was underneith, even so you could feel every bone through the sweaters.

Another sad thing is he had lost all control of his bodily functions. He would be just walking and peeing at the same time totally unaware of it...talk about degrading and sad.

This past Saturday he stood up and collapsed and couldnt get up, it was then that they took him to the vet, to see what could be done...totally blind to the fact that it was time for him to go.

So...

There is something about this that really just pisses me off...that they didnt make him more comfortable and they let him suffer for so long...

So when YOU feel it is time to let your baby go...and your heart is telling you it is time...dont let yourself do what my uncle did and let them suffer, because the people who look on and see it...it hurts them too...And when someone is trying to tell you they think it is time...then it problably is time...and not lash out at them in anger or hatrid...they are only trying to help...(my uncle wouldnt listen to anyone about Jake)

Rest in peace Jake, you deserve the long awaited rest...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
elsasmom
Been Around A While

This makes me soooo sad for Jake. I promise my animals that I'll put them first. My vet is awesome at helping me see clearly what their quality of life is.

I have a 3 year old cat with a rare blood disorder. When we discussed all the options from massive testing at the university or monthly phlebotomies to taking him home to die, my vet and I came up with the easiest thing for my Louie. He has an oral medicine twice weekly that should extend his quality time. I'm on constant surveillance for any sign he's not happy anymore. So far, he's getting around well, eating well(anything he wants) and purring and cuddling. The first sign that life is no longer fun and we're off the the vet, much as it hurts me to even type this.

Shara, I'm sorry you had to witness this; you did your best to help Jake, but it was beyond your control. I'm glad Jake is at the rainbow bridge now and I'm sure he forgives his owner for not having the courage to do the right thing. It was just misguided love.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
sandyb
Been Around A While

Poor old Jake having to suffer for so long. His rest is long overdue. It must have been so hard to watch him go downhill. RIP dear boy.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Shells_k
Been Around A While

I hate when people do that, and I pray to God that I am strong enough to not do that with Jessie and that I will be able to let go when it is the right time.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
saveawolf
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to saveawolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
Poor old Jake having to suffer for so long. His rest is long overdue. It must have been so hard to watch him go downhill. RIP dear boy.
i agree im so sorry

poem jake family may i go

Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond, and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and living light.
I want to go, I really do; it's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid, because I see your tears.
I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know,
That my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too,
And that's why it's hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.
So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say,
Because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.
ou can close your eyes to hide the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to hide the things you don't want to feel...x
saveawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Terribly hard to make that decision to let them go but I'd rather do that than see them suffer. RIP Jake.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
GappyGermanPointer
New Around Here

I dont agree with Euthanasia but I know how hard its to see a dog suffering from a disease. I wish no dogs would suffer that kind of fate because that's a very hard decision.
In caring for your dog, give it the best dog diet and dog food recipes from your heart.
GappyGermanPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I'm sorry to hear of Jakes suffering and also the suffering of you who had to witness it.

It's very hard to say goodbye. I know that we all aggonize over "that thing" we know we must do. And for me it never gets any easier. But I actually hope it never does.

The reason I say this is because: The love we feel for our furry little friends is the reason it is so hard to say goodbye. If you dont feel anything it is sad because there wasn't much of a connection.

Like most animal lovers I dont like Euthanasia either. I dont think it right to kill one animal JUST to make room for another one. But if we use euthanasia to relieve suffering or to speed up the prosess in the case of a terminally ill patient, then I feel that euthanasia is a way for us to show a final act of kindness to a beloved member of the family.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Rainbow Bridge