Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health » Health and Fitness Challenge

Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWOPJMP View Post
I'm going to be 53 next month, already have high blook pressure and diabetes. My main goal is to get my diabetes under control, it hasn't been for a long time. I never even check it because I know it's really high. I don't have a scale so I'm just going by the way my clothes fit and how I feel. I also haven't cared for a long time. I guess I have finally bottomed out. So here I go on the DOGSTER DIET.
Although I feel confident that good eating habbits and excersize can correct alot of average health issues, I also feel that it is VERY important to keep an eye a condition that you know you have. Especially high blood pressure and diabetes. At the very least, you need to check your blood pressure and blood sugar once per week and watch what you eat very carefully.

Best of luck with your goals.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #12
k9mania
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWOPJMP View Post
I'm going to be 53 next month, already have high blook pressure and diabetes. My main goal is to get my diabetes under control, it hasn't been for a long time. I never even check it because I know it's really high. I don't have a scale so I'm just going by the way my clothes fit and how I feel. I also haven't cared for a long time. I guess I have finally bottomed out. So here I go on the DOGSTER DIET.

Exercise helps tremendously with high blood pressure. I take medication for it because I am type A. But if I exercise, I do not need the pill. The research shows that it will help with the blood pressure. Also if you have Type II diabetes, exercise and weight loss will help keep it under control along with a diligent diet. Weight can be deceiving, if any of you start lifting weights, muscle weighs more than fat. It will be how your clothes fit.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:29 AM   #13
k9mania
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
I have a 4 1/2 old daughter and I want to set a good example for her.
This is key. There is an epidemic of obesity in children right now with a high incidence of juvenile diabetes in young children. This has to do with our behavior as parents and that children don't get the exercise that many of us got when we were young. We walked places. We played ball games, etc. outside in the streets. We did not just sit and play computer games. Also, there was not so much advertising on TV on all the sugared cereal, snacks, and fast food that creates tension between parent and child. Vegetables, lean meats, ground turkey(instead of beef), salad with almonds, dried berries. Little or no soda, that is a big one. Have your children pick the vegetable of the day. Put fresh veggies likes carrots or celery in their lunches.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
k9mania
Administrator

Remember that this is not just about weight loss. If someone has a normal BMI, they may not be very fit or healthy. It is about the whole package. Also remember that when you are under stress exercise can be great to help alleviate it. It is like when we answer questions about why people's dogs might be barking, chewing, etc. They are not getting enought mental and physical stimulation (exercise and mental challenges that exercise the mind). As you write in your journal, you will come to understand when the best time of day for you to exercise is. Mine is in the morning. You will also start to determine when your hunger is the worst. In otherwords, some foods may not satisfy you and you get hungry sooner than the next meal. You may need to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals instead of 3 meals with largest at night. Keeping a food journal along with your energy level after eating etc. will help you figure out what works for you best.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
REWOPJMP
Site Regular

I know all the diet stuff, I just haven't paid attention to any of it for a while. I'm on two blood pressure meds and two diabetes meds. My goal is to get down to one of each, then take it from there. I"m sure once that happens I'll feel better and can make more goals. So far I'm doing pretty good.
REWOPJMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
k9mania
Administrator

This morning (yesterday) I was going to go to the gym and start on the treadmill. I could not or would not get up. Next week my goal is to go a minimum of 3 time for 30 minutes and go snowshoeing once.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #17
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

We did a mile last night. Brigit got to wear her new coat. I can't wait for it to get warmer so we can do more long walks; the long ones are my stress relievers.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I walked the dog park for 2 hours yesterday, and it was actually warm enough for cerbie to swim. So my right arm is a little sore from throwing his water kong for 2 hours.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I've been doing a lot of walking. Some of my old pants almossst fit. I even lifted some weights last night. I need to get a scale....
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

You suck Cerbie!

I'm jealous, it's still too cold to walk. I did walk today though it got warmer.
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health