Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » ASPCA Position
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
well i for one think its interesting that in the USA we are encouraged to "fix" our dogs, their are people out there that will practically call you scum if you have an intact dog. Yet these same people call you a monster for cropping and docking. Both altering and crop/docking are not neccisary, except for some medical reasons. We fix our dogs because it is easier for us to surgically alter our pets than it is to keep them seperated, and/or confined away from the opposite sex.

In Norway you are not allowed, unless for medical reasons to fix your pet(or crop/dock), cats are the exception, because it is considered cruel to keep them confined in the house. Yet they do not have a pet overpopulation problem. Makes you wonder how they can manage to prevent accidental breedings but people here cant?
What it comes down to with spaying/neutering is our right people do not want to take the responsibility to keep their unalter animals safe. I'm not against spaying or neutering but I agree with you totally that as soon as you mention a animal is not fixed people jump down your throat. Before I even web stated to breed I knew I wouldn't fix my first male dog because I knew I would properly control him.

Great points !
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Where I don't care for ASPCA - only 2% of donations go to save critters - they have some good points. But I'm not a breeder nor ever will be. I'll take those half-baked puppies whose parents have never been genetically tested, socialized, etc - when they hit rescue. Got me some verrry expensive dogs here cause someone didn't know what they were getting into with a Cocker Spaniel. Mine cost me from $85 (from Animal Services) to $200 (from rescue) for a *rare* chocolate parti. Look at all chocolate parti Cockers on Petfinder. NOT rare at all but someone paid $1k for my little $200 doodle! Won't EVER forget the drop-dead gorgeous chocolate in rescue guy who was a former SHOW DOG! The previous owners dumped him along with his show book, ribbons, etc. EH??? People are stupid.
I never give cash to any rescue, but I DO donate food and other supplies on a regular basis. It's not just with rescues either, any organization I would rarer offer materials that can be used as supposed to cash which you never know where it goes.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
I never give cash to any rescue, but I DO donate food and other supplies on a regular basis. It's not just with rescues either, any organization I would rarer offer materials that can be used as supposed to cash which you never know where it goes.
This is a little unrelated but I had gotten into an agreement with some because they tried to tell me "show dogs" NEVER end up in shelters!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Momto3
Been Around A While
 
Momto3's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
tell me "show dogs" NEVER end up in shelters!
WRONG! I can't tell you how many I have seen in Florida. Impressive books and lotsa ribbons and such but - bottom line - yet another dog someone has kicked to the curb. Most of those I won't touch. I like the ones who are special in needs. The ones who don't know how to love or have allergy problems. The ones who have been abused are really close to my heart. Basically I take the ones no one else wants and I give them the right to live their lifespan with as much love as they will allow me to give. Warm bed, regular meals, most of my rescues have never had that. Once in a while - rarely - I get a younger one like Merlin. Sometimes you just NEED one younger one when you take on the elders constantly. Merlin's not perfect - verrry skittish little guy - work in progress. Works for me!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 168
Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
WRONG! I can't tell you how many I have seen in Florida. Impressive books and lotsa ribbons and such but - bottom line - yet another dog someone has kicked to the curb. Most of those I won't touch. I like the ones who are special in needs. The ones who don't know how to love or have allergy problems. The ones who have been abused are really close to my heart. Basically I take the ones no one else wants and I give them the right to live their lifespan with as much love as they will allow me to give. Warm bed, regular meals, most of my rescues have never had that. Once in a while - rarely - I get a younger one like Merlin. Sometimes you just NEED one younger one when you take on the elders constantly. Merlin's not perfect - verrry skittish little guy - work in progress. Works for me!
You don't have to tell me that they're wrong! I know for sure they are.

That's really great of you to take in those dogs in need the few time that I have tried to adopt I never could. Ever rescue would turn me away because I have children or because my dogs that I own are "too young"

I tried many times to adopt older and sick pugs with not much time left so that I could let them live out their last few years with love and family but for some reason no shelter would allow me because of my pets or my kids. Which is to bad, I know a lot of parents see their kids as they can do no harm, but my kids are different. They have had all kinds of animals their whole life's, without ever even a close call of them hurting one or anything that would make them unsafe around pets.

Any who I just waned To commend you on adopting the poor unloved and unwanted and givin them all that love
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Labman
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 966
Before 6 weeks, puppies pay little attention to anything but mother and litter mate. They still need human contact. The really essential time is 6-12 weeks.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Momto3
Been Around A While
 
Momto3's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
the few time that I have tried to adopt I never could. Ever rescue would turn me away because I have children or because my dogs that I own are "too young"
They were wrong as is the rescue I used to volunteer with. I have one who absolutely adores kids and he's now stuck in a house with just me. That rescue won't adopt to kids. Having had him for 4 years now I'm positive he would be much happier with some kids to romp with not that I have a choice to let him go. I love him anyway and we get rambunctious now and then but he obviously needs more. He's in heaven when my grans come over!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
JessicaR
Been Around A While
 
JessicaR's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Before 6 weeks, puppies pay little attention to anything but mother and litter mate. They still need human contact. The really essential time is 6-12 weeks.
My puppies start paying attention to people at about 3 weeks old, about the time we introduce puppy mush for them to eat. Yes at that age their main focus is mom, but when she is on break... watch out fingers and toes By 4 weeks they can learn simple commands such as sit and shake.

I have really been studying puppy behaviour, I would like to someday be a breeder raiser for pilot dogs. I really enjoy breeding and raising puppies, but I have decided to no longer breed my shelties, since my newest show pup went oversize by a quarter of an inch and Belle is 5 y/o old now
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 PM.