Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » What MicroChip system do you use?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
What MicroChip system do you use?

So far I've been using Home Again but I'm looking for a better one maybe. So I want to know what other breeders use and recommend. I've tried looking into AVID but have not been able to get a response from them, I've also been looking at pro-id pet microchip, but have found very little info on that brand. Any suggestions?
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

If at all possible go Home Again chips. Unless a shelter has a universal scanner the Avid will not take a dog home. I recently "found" a dog at a high kill shelter where they supposedly scan on intake. This dog either has a migrating chip or the "shelter" doesn't have a universal scanner. Difference between life and death if the lost one gets snagged by the wrong ones.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Wow! It seems to me that all shelters should have a universal scanner. I've been using Home Again, but the big needle makes me nervous, no matter home many I do, it always just scares me because if the width. Other systems promise a smaller needle, that's why I was wondering what other people recommend and were using. Thank you for the info
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Any info on the pro-id microchip? I found a good deal on it and just curious before I would consider using it what other people thought of that one.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

what about checking with your vet and the local animal cops to see if they have scanning capabilities on the chip you're looking at? I'd also warn your adopters/buyers that the chip means nothing if not registered or even have them fill out the paperwork and YOU register it. I am amazed at the people who think just because the dog has a chip, it will bring it back home without taking the time to register the chip. Chips with no registration mean nothing. When I got Monte with an Avid there was no on-line registration. I filled out the paperwork and sent it in...no response. Finally called them and made them tell ME how he's registered. Side note - my VET does not have a universal scanner and he tried to scan my dogs on their first visit with him but had no fresh batteries. I coulda been a thief with a whole new crop of Cocker Spaniels and got away with it.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Wow! Thanks for the advice, I usually register the pups Microchips to me just in case the new owners forget, but I also make them sign a contract that says they will register the microchip themselves. But I know what you mean, a friend of mine bought a pup from my last litter and still has not registered it! She has another dog too that she never registered and she, like you said, though that as long as the Microchips was inserted that she was all set. I yet to make sure all perspective owners understand what a microchip does and doesn't do. It's amazing too the amount of people that believe it is like a GPS system! Unbelievable! Thanks and I'm going to call around and ask about the pro-id pet microchip, I like the price of the chip and the price of the lifetime registration. But I need to look into it more, as usual most things that seem to good to be true usually are. Thanks

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care