Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » MicroChipping, such a BIG NEEDLE!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
MicroChipping, such a BIG NEEDLE!

Well I'm microchipping a litter of pups for the first time myself. I know that a lot of breeders are doing this on their own now, but I'm very scared and concerned by the huge needle. Any advice? Can I give them an injection of Lidocaine(local anestesia) to help reduce pain, or do I not need to bother with numbing the area? Any tips from breeders who have done this before? I know I can do it, I do their vaccines, but the size in the needle concerns me.
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
well, even though nobody gave me any advice i went ahead and micro chipped my litter, with Home Again. I was very nervous doing the first chip. I had my husband hold him while i prepared everything. Then i tented the skin and with a quick jab the needle was in and then the microchip injected. It was all over in a matter of seconds and the puppy, who did cry out as the needle went in, was now fin e and back to playing with his litter mates like nothing ever happened. So all my anxiety and nervousness was for nothing. all my worry about this HUGE needle was unfounded and my 6 week old puppy with no local anesthesia or without being put to sleep was 100% fine and didn't even relive what had happened, except now he is a whole lot safer for the rest of his life I'm not a professional, by far, but if anyone out there is in the same position i was a few days ago i would be glad toi offer advice, support and reassurance.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I read your post but didnt feel qualified to comment.

I'm so glad everything went well!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I have never chipped my own pups so I also didnt have any advise.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
I read your post but didnt feel qualified to comment.

I'm so glad everything went well!
I understand, thank you though for reading!

It was very simple and I will do it on my own from now on, the needle is very intimidating but it causes no bleeding and very little pain. I recently went and had them all scanned to make sure they were in properly and sure enough, no problem. It was very simple and now I feel these puppies are a lot safer for the rest of their life's.

Thank you!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Fritz_Dog
New Around Here

Yeah, I would be worried about getting them in correctly. I always felt that microchipping pets was something that needed to be done by a vet...

I'm glad yours went well, though!
Fritz_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care