Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Helping people breed "designer dogs"

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Helping people breed "designer dogs"

Hello, I've not been on the forum in a very long time. Since I've watch all my pug pups grow into pug dogs and its been amazing! We've not been breeding since, but it's just been so unbelievable what well manner little girls and boys they've turned into

Anyway I d like to get to my question. I'm not very happy with the "designer dog" trend. Of course as a pug breeder puggles are the first to come to mind but there are tons of other popular mixes, cookapoos, I believe is one, Bea-tzu, labradoodles, shitz-poo and so on. I offer stud services as a breeder and can't count the number of times I've been asked by a beagle owner for stud services. Now my opinion on this is no reputable breeder would mix breeds. My next though is they are just mutts, now there is nothing wrong with mutts some of the best dogs I owned as a child were mutts, (nothing wrong with mutts but i dont think they should purposely be breed with so many mutts snd others in shelters)but do un registered dogs from unscrupulous breeders deserve a $1000 price? My next thought is we breed purebred animals and we know what to expect health wise, temperment wise, we know what activities they'll need to do to occupy them, and so on. When you mix the two breeds you don't know what traits you'll get from what dog, it could be a bad mix.

So I don't agree with mixing breeds. When a customer asks I politely say no. Most recently a close friend is hoping to breed puggles. I'm very very disappointed with her decision, she has no experience or knowledge whatsoever with breeding either. How can I politely tell her I will not help her breed puggles I dissagree with her decision? Or should I help her for the health and wellfare of the animals?
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
And then of course what is the standard you are breeding to? Mixing pugs and beagles, pugs have very short smooshed faces while beagles have that very long nose. If your mixing them what's the desired breed standard for a puggle? Ever puggle I've seen looks different, there doesn't seem to be a breed standard. Also there is their personalities, pugs are laid back and lazy while from what I know beagles need to be occupied by hunting and retrieving activities, but I am no professional on the beagle breed, so what personality traits could be expected from a puggle. This could go from any mix.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care