Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Male and female mating, tie question?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Male and female mating, tie question?

I'm just curious when others are breeding and the female is in heat and ready to go, how many times do you allow the male and female to tie? Oh and by the way I'm expecting another litter, I'm so excited I've had a lot of success so far. I've had all healthy puppies and great homes lined up for them. Thanks so much for everyone's great advice and help
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I usually allow them to mate 2-3 times.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Thanks. May I ask why? I'm just curious if there is a specific reason? I know the father determines the sex and the mother the number of pups. Is it possible to have too big of a litter if they tie too many times? I've never let them tie more than a few times but I don't know why? If I left them to their own devices they'd probably time like 10 times, lol! I guess part of the reason i only allow a few ties is I'm worried it's hard on the female, is it? I've not been breeding long and I've tried to read as much information on my breed and breeding and delivery and just anything I could find on the subject but I've never heard anything about the number of ties that should be allowed. Thanks for your input and as usual I really appreciate it
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I allow them to mate over several days. Since it is hard to tell without vaginal smears when a female is ovulating. I have them mate once every other day while she is in standing heat. (usually day 10,12, and 14) Just to be sure I catch the right time. But yes if you left them to their own they would probably breed several times a day. It shouldnt hurt anything to allow them to mate that much, but I think its just overkill.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I allow them to mate over several days. Since it is hard to tell without vaginal smears when a female is ovulating. I have them mate once every other day while she is in standing heat. (usually day 10,12, and 14) Just to be sure I catch the right time. But yes if you left them to their own they would probably breed several times a day. It shouldnt hurt anything to allow them to mate that much, but I think its just overkill.
Lol! Thanks again, it's so nice to be able to have someone like you to answer all my questions I really appreciate it!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Corinthian
Been Around A While

I'm disturbed by the fact you've been breeding dogs without doing research first. Very irresponsible and what I would expect from a BYB
Corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
I'm disturbed by the fact you've been breeding dogs without doing research first. Very irresponsible and what I would expect from a BYB
I've done tons of research. I researched for years before owning and for even more before breeding. Nice try though.

So let me get this straight If you don't l ow the answer to every single question in the world of breeding your irresponsible. Hmm....wow, I guess every breeder in the world must be super irresponsible.

Last edited by puggie_momma : 04-13-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
What I would expect from a know it all!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care