Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete » ANyone do any tracking?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

ANyone do any tracking?

I found a training place in houston that trains for tracking. I think my dogs would have a ball doing it. Brigit is a dachshund, that's what she's supposed to do, and Cerbie's nose is always to the ground. My question is, since Brigit is young 7months, should I wait til she's older and has her basic obedience down better, or could I start now? I'll probably wait til spring though, it's too cold outside to be running around outside with dogs.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Corinthian
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
I found a training place in houston that trains for tracking. I think my dogs would have a ball doing it. Brigit is a dachshund, that's what she's supposed to do, and Cerbie's nose is always to the ground. My question is, since Brigit is young 7months, should I wait til she's older and has her basic obedience down better, or could I start now? I'll probably wait til spring though, it's too cold outside to be running around outside with dogs.

The younger the better!!!

Tracking is a great activity that can be taught to any dog at any age, but puppies really pick up the skill.

I've also like trackinb because as a dog gets old it may not chase or run, or even see as well as it used but it can always track.
Corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i agree with corinthian the younger the better she will have a ball, i teach mine in house starting with things in view and slowly moving and hiding then taking out to garden and different places i am sure the both of you will realy enjoy it
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
johnanddoggies
Been Around A While

tracking is so much fun you can even train in doors to start it is best to work on sent reconigition before trying advance tracking this can be done with a couple of boxes and lots of treats just keep it positive
johnanddoggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Thanks guys, I'll have to start inside with her and see if she likes it. I've hidden toys from Cerbie, but never treats. Should be fun.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

Tracking sounds like a good activity for my Beagle. Anybody know of a trainer for that in Georgia?
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Mari
Been Around A While

I can't wait until spring when my club offers tracking. I'm going to work with Chalice my APBT. I think she will love it. Did I read that right you said it too cold in Texas!?! I live in Northern Minnesota and we just got do with a another cold snap of like -50 at night to -30 during the day everyday for the last week or so. It was hard be out with the dogs.
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yeah, I'm a weenie when it comes to the cold. I'm cold if it's under 70.

We practiced playing find the toy inside and outside last night. Brigit had absolutley no interest in it whatsoever. Cerbie had a blast. He's really good at it, too. I hid the toy in several places that he had to move something to get to it, and he found it every time. Well, not the last time, he was done playing and brought me his rope for tug-of-war.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Twila
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Twila
"Go find" was the first thing I taught Marley. I taught my dobie pitbull cross to find treats and such and it would keep him busy and made him so happy I just had to teach Marley right away.

and she's really really good at it! she loves it! Picked it up in 1 afternoon!
Twila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
caninejan
Been Around A While

I'd love to get into tracking with Bubba, and will ask our trainer if it's a possibility with him. Does anyone know a good trainer for tracking in Chester County, PA or the surrounding areas? (just in case Mike can't, or won't do it).
I think Bubba would have alot of fun and he's already proven to me he's got a good nose!
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete