Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete » dumbells

Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

dumbells

does anyone work with dumbells and if so, how do i get elsa to stop biting hers?? she does great at taking it and dropping it and retrieving it but she can't just hold it.

tia
anna
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Teach her to HOLD EASY. I use this on my dogs to create a soft mouth, as this is essential to keeping a retrieved bird toothmark free.

I use one or two wire hairbrushes (taped back to back if you use two) and placed inside a large sock. I place the toy inside the mouth and say HOLD EASY. As soon as the dog begins to bite down say NO, HOLD EASY. After a few pokes from the hairbrushes and my repeated commands the dog learns that whenever I say HOLD EASY means that if you don't it will poke the mouth. Alternate between the sock-brush item and a dumbell inside a sock until they master the HOLD EASY regardless of what they retrieve. With adult dogs it takes a lot longer to un-learn the bad habit of biting down but it can be taught.

Hope this helps,
Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete