Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression » Training an older dog

Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Training an older dog

Max is a very well behaved little man, but I'm having trouble teaching him things. He always comes when he's called, which is really the most important command in my opinion, but I'd like him to learn other things as well, like my other 2. It's hilarious watching the other 2 both spin in a circle or roll over at the same time.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on training an adult dog. I've only ever had puppies, so I don't know if you do things differently, or if it just takes longer (which I think may be the case, I have a short attention span, and the other 2 pups pick things up really quickly).

Another question is about the multi-dog household training. Do you seperate them and train individually, or do you have them all in the same room, or what? Brigit seems to get angry when I try to teach the others and she's not getting the attention or treats.

Thanks guys.
Crystal
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Whoops, I meant to put this in general training, he's not aggressive at all. Idk how to move these things.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Train separately so as to not undermine the training of the skilled dogs. The unskilled dog will also be helped seeing other dogs be rewarded for tricks. The older dog may take a bit longer to train but the training techniques are still the same.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

allright, then I just have to be more patient, arrrg. He just gets so excited when he sees the clicker come out, that he just runs around like a maniac for 5 minutes before I can calm him down. I have to wait for him to settle, bc I don't want to raise my voice at him, bc he gets really scared. I don't even tell him no in a stern voice, he responds really well. Maybe I'll try teaching him without the treats, I think that's what's getting him riled up. I'll try putting the other 2 in another room, then working with him.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Furbilator
Been Around A While

You might want to exercise him a little first before training just to take the edge off. I find that my dogs always listen a bit better if they have had a brief 'run around like a nutbar' before real training commences.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

All of my dogs get separate training time, even now. Normally, we spend 30 minutes or so in the yard playing ball or fetch, then I take them one at a time for 15 or 20 minutes. When they're all responding reliably to commands, we do casual training stuff as a group, mixed in with play, but they still get one on one time.
I've had LESS trouble training older dogs than younger ones, but that may be the breed. Rotts aren't all that excitable.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yeah, Max has had nothing, so every time we talk to him, feed him, or play or try to train, he's just so happy. Every time we come back inside, he's still excited all over again that we've let him back inside.

And I do training after walks and before dinner. I want a somewhat tired dog that reallly wants to work for the cookies. Too bad he doesn't like toys that much, or I'd try toys as a reward. Thanks guys. I don't intend to stop trying, he's very willing to please, he's just so unsure of what we want from him. I'm just so happy that he's stopped submissively rolling on to his back every time we pass him or talk to him.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Have you ever tried clicker training? You can click much faster than you can give verbal praise for getting what you want from a dog.

I had to go to a trainer to learn how to use the clicker.
Wouldn't be without one now!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

yes, i use the clicker. I love the clicker! My dogs love the clicker! Cerb starts drooling when he sees the clicker. But I really do like it, it marks behaviors so much quicker than I can.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
st a thought Cerbies....

one of my mother in laws spaniels was particularly slow at learning...he was three when she got him and had no training previously. she started very slowly introducing simple exercises like "sit" and "wait" for food at meal times next to his kennel mate who was fully trained and really obedient. he learnt much quicker by being able to copy the other dog. within a really short time after that he had the basics. once these were in place he progressed really well and actually beat his kennel mate at agility two years later!

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression