Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > General Health » Help!!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
LoneWolf
Site Regular

Send a message via AIM to LoneWolf Send a message via MSN to LoneWolf
Help!!!!

Alright guys, it's been a few years since I've visited this site, but I never forgot you! You guys are the first ones I'm running to for help.

Alright, here goes.

I still have Koda. (My German Shepherd/Husky mix) My baby boy is 7 years old now. My, how the time has passed. <3

Anywoof, we found out last year that he is allergic to flea bites. He chewed all the fur off his rump and tail, and when I brought him into the vet that's what they diagnosed him with. After putting him on Trifexis and giving him an oral medication to help stop the itching, his fur started growing back. Fast forward to two months ago. I neglected to check my email and missed the last TWO messages from my vet. I forgot to get him his Trifexis and he's all chewed up again. It's pretty bad, but there are only two spots. I noticed it Wednesday, but the vet was already closed and they were closed yesterday because of the Holiday. When I called today they said there were double booked today and tomorrow, so they are seeing him on Monday afternoon.

What I really need help with is: I started putting Neosporin Wound Cleanser on it, to help fight infection until I can get him into the vet on Monday. He's in much less pain, because now he's letting me clean it without crying... but the fur around the wound has turned green? It's a dark green and it doesn't smell like infection or chemicals. I'm trying to figure out why it turned from the normal creamish color to.... green? I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm slightly worried. Should I discontinue use of this OTC medicine???

Thank you for reading, I hope you guys can shed some light onto my problem.
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I would just relax! My sheltie Belle has developed flea allergies, found out the hard way that frontline no longer works for us. The green color could have something to do with the Neosporin, or bruising of the skin from your dog biting at the area, I doubt if its an infection. Give Benadryl to help with the itching a nice soothing oatmeal bath wouldn't hurt either. Also to help with fleas you can dust your dog, yard and carpets with diatomaceous earth, also add apple cider vinegar to his water, about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > General Health