Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Raw diet

Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
Labman
Been Around A While

Feed raw? Not only is the AVMA against it, but so is the FDA and CDC, http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
JessicaR
Been Around A While

not feed raw? of course, most vets want you to feed sience diet as for the bacteria issue... dogs eat lots of stuff that is way past its prime and dont get sick. their body is designed to handle raw meat, now corn thats a different story.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Having seen the effects on people of unsanitary food handling (Listeria contamination from Maple Leaf Foods here in Canada) I wouldn't put myself let alone my pets in the risky situation by hoping that meat was removed from a carcass properly without contamination. How many of you wash your steaks off before you grill them? You would if you see how meat is handled by the average slaughterhouse .

At the very least, when you cook the meat there is a lesser chance of becoming sick from even the smallest contamination of enteric bacteria (bacteria from the intestines - poo bacteria).

If you wash, handle and prepare the raw meat properly and if it is consumed immediately by the dog you will minimize the risk of food bourne illnesses. I wouldn't however feed a raw diet that was prepared by someone else (commercial) as there is little to no control over contamination.

I don't see anything wrong with a raw food diet but it does take a considerable amount of care when handling the food to insure food safety. Although dogs do have a tougher tummy than we do, they too can be made sick by pathogens, parasites, etc. found in raw meat.
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
eeyore
Been Around A While

why do people say feeding raw is a trend? it does bug me, its not a trend its been going on since people startde to let dogs live with them. if anything feeding commercial shop dog food is a trend.
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
kandk
Site Regular

Send a message via MSN to kandk Send a message via Yahoo to kandk
I've always just fed my dogs regular dry dog food. Why do you want to start feeding them a raw diet? Is it healthier or something?
This is Koda. My avatar is Katie.
-Amanda
kandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Some people swear by the raw food diet. But like I said in my other post, there are some risks if the meat isn't fresh, handled properly or eaten quickly. With raw diets it is up to the owner to insure a balanced diet. With prepared dog foods the balancing part is already done. And with any diet it is up to the owner to determine what he/she believes to be nutritionally required by the dogs or what they can afford. For some people the cost of raw diets is too much; generally those people are feeding their dogs the cheap dog food anyway.

I make some of Cassie's food myself (cooked though not raw) but I also use quality prepared dog food to insure a balanced diet.

It is 50/50 as to the benefit/risk of a raw diet versus a cooked or prepared dog food. And although it isn't new, dogs back in the old days generally didn't live as long as they do now - perhaps that is because of a better balanced diet now as aposed to the olden days.
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
eeyore
Been Around A While

i dont think that dogs living longer now than older times has much to do with the food, its more to do with better medical knowledge/science.
a lot of commercial food has additives, and colouring.
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
billthedogguy
New Around Here

I've been feeding raw to my GSD for almost 3 yrs. She gets raw chicken everyday with a supplement made by Nuvet (nuvet.com). I also add salmon oil. A great resouce of information is at leerburg.com. This is one of the best websites I have ever seen when comes to dogs.
billthedogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I used to do the B.A.R.F. diet for my dogs but it did become to expensive for me. They did great on it and loved it though.

I agree start them off slowly, I have a funny story about the first raw meal my two cockers had. I gave them both a wing with some ground up veggies and some yogurt in a bowl... they sniffed it.... looked up at me with the "I'm supposed to eat that?" look. I left them to it and they cleaned the veggies and yogurt up but didn't toucht the wings. Danny finally started nibbling on his and Nugget wouldn't have anything to do with it! LOL I was focused on watching Danny (making sure he didn't choke) when around the corner came Nugget with his wing in his mouth! I was so shocked that he'd picked it up and was gonna try it that I let out a gasp... poor Nugget thought he'd done something wrong and dropped it immediatly! LOL I liked to died laughing, I was happy shocked and he thought he was in trouble. I finally got him to pick it back up and that was that.

I do recommend getting an old sheet or blanket for the floor though becuase I found it to be pretty messy. Mine didn't want to chew the bones over their bowls they wanted to walk off with them and naw at their own pace. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by cockermom93 : 10-31-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #20
Labman
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthedogguy View Post
I've been feeding raw to my GSD for almost 3 yrs. She gets raw chicken everyday with a supplement made by Nuvet (nuvet.com). I also add salmon oil. A great resouce of information is at leerburg.com. This is one of the best websites I have ever seen when comes to dogs.
I have been very disappointed with the Leersburg site. If you follow their housebreaking advice, your house will smell just like their site. For better info try,
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html or better yet http://www.guidedogsofthedesert.org/...iserManual-May 2007.doc
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet