Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » BARF diet

Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Labman, I have been researching raw for over a year before I actually started. Bacteria is present every where if you have ever ate a steak or hamburger any way but well done your at a risk for getting sick, if you eat deli meat you can get sick. Heck even your vegetables if not properly managed can carry e-coli. I make sure I wash everything when I am done. I actualy have been giving all my dogs raw lamb bones for a while, ever since the vet said 2 of them need their teeth cleaned and it would cost about $150 per dog well a 4 dollar dog bone cleaned their teeth so well that the vet said they no longer require a cleaning! sure I was told by him I shouldnt feed raw its dangerous, blah, blah, blah. of course he would say that he lost a chance to make $300!
k9mania, thanks! I really dont plan on supplementing too much mostly probiotics and vitamin E and maybe fish oil.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

How exciting! You should take some before pics now, and in a few weeks compare to see if you can tell any differences.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I took some pics of her eating. I just need to put them on photobucket I give her a small peice of liver today (1 oz.) she took a while to eat it. she kept spitting it back out I dont think she liked the texture of it raw. she did eventually eat it, but only after she ate everything else.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
k9mania
Administrator

I think you need to be a bit careful with liver as it is so rich. Even when I supplement my dogs with it I am very careful and they have iron stomachs. Do you use any mackerel or sardines. Once a week mine get mackerel or sardines for a meal. I am giving them Primal off and on to begin the steps toward raw. I am working with a vet (acupuncturist). Until the holidays, I am not home regularly then they will begin. I have joined a co-op to buy the meat so it is much cheaper. You should look around. Then you just volunteer once in a while and get cheaper meat.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #25
madhouse1972
Site Regular

Thats great JessicaR, when mine started on RAW i couldnt believe how quickly i noticed the change for the better in them.

You will find you turn into an avid poo watcher LOL i dont give any supplements as i feel i am able to give a wide enough variety of meat and RMB's for my dogs to recieve all the nutrients they need (confirmed by my RAW friendly vet)

I love watching my 7 year old great dane spinning and jumping around excitedly when its dinner time LOL she was on painkillers of which she was unable to walk without taking before i switched to RAW now she is on no medications at all

Labman Feeding RAW is by no means a 'fad' or 'trend'
a dogs digestion is not the same as us humans
madhouse1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #26
luvsdogs
Been Around A While

A barf diet includes raw bones, meat, organs, crushed vegies & supplements.

April, (avatar), Apr 4 1993 - Feb. 11 2008.
luvsdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
JessicaR
Been Around A While

k9mania, I have just started so right now she is getting only chicken. I will probably add a fish meal to next week dinner. she ate her liver yesterday with no problems, her poo is still nice and firm!

madhouse, I couldnt believe how much she loved the raw food she was always a slow picky eater with kibble. she eats the raw food with no hesitation!!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
madhouse1972
Site Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
madhouse, I couldnt believe how much she loved the raw food she was always a slow picky eater with kibble. she eats the raw food with no hesitation!!
I found it's like they thank me after each meal Diesel used to be a picky eater when i got him at 7 wks old i trued everything to get him to eat and to get rid of the flacky skin he had untill at around 9-10 wks i decided to switch to RAW and never looked back LOL

A couple of mine were funny with liver at first untill i cut it up and flash fried it then after few weeks i'd leave it raw cut it small and mix with natural yoghurt now they love it raw anyhow i give it to them LOL

It's so nice to hear other peoples reactions when they switch and realise the immediate benefits. Glad you started with the chicken i introduced other meats slowly so as i could make sure their stomachs adjusted and could tolerate them all.

I did worry at first that they would lack nutrients but took alot of advice on another forum and realised every nutrient isn't needed in one go, so long as they get everything over a course of the month, like us humans we dont eat a meal complete with EVERY nutrient we need, instead we vary our food and over the course of weeks/month we take in all we need too.

You will be amazed how many more benefits you will see over the next few months
madhouse1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
thethreedogblogger
Site Regular

JessicR. You raise a very good point. I don't feed a total raw diet but the Dogs get bones regular. It is amazing how ell it cleans their teeth. A small price for a few bones is better than big dental bils any day!
For lots of great articles including Shy Dog Training and lots more, visit The Three Dog Blog. Life is never boring with three Dogs! THE Dog Blog, visit or get licked!
thethreedogblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #30
eeyore
Been Around A While

mine have been on RAW for just over a year now and i am so glad that i took the plunge, they are so much better on it.
especially Jasper who is 14 now and still going strong infact his athritis has improved a lot and he doesnt have bad skin anymore.
Maddie doesnt like the liver raw either she takes it out of her bowl and rolls on it LOL
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet