Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Feeding dogs bones

Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
fallenangel
New Around Here

Feeding dogs bones

Hello all.

I have recently been to a very good trainer who has informed me of the crap that is put into some of the dog treats available now.

My dog is fed Arden Grange and now only gets Arden grange or James Well Beloved treats as they contain meat and not cereals and god knows what else.

My dog likes to chew and i did find that Raw hinds were helping with his teeth. I have been advised to give him bones to chew instead. I just wondered what anyone else thought about feeding bones and if cooked was better than raw.

Also when he has been chewing a bone there is sometimes some blood of which i guess if from his mouth somewhere, should he still have bones???
fallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
ChillisMom
Been Around A While

Never give a dog cooked bone they can splinter and cause a lot of problems. If your dog isn't used to raw foods, what you have to do is cut off most of the raw meat and then it should be okay. Also always watch them when they're chewing, one time one of my dogs Chilli just bit rite through the bone ( it was a cow leg bone!) and started eating the pieces... I was so scared, thanks God nothing happened....
ChillisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Suz23
Been Around A While

NEVER feed cooked bones this is what causes the problems. Raw bones are fine but freeze for 24 hours first as it kills a few of the bugs. A good leg bone is always a good place to start.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
fallenangel
New Around Here

Thanks for that. I picked up a cooked knuckle bone from the pet shop and my dog just broke it all apart so it only lasted 20 mins as I took it off him. I was worried aout him eating the little bits of which I think he may have eaten a bit. Needless to say he will not be getting one again!!

I can't seem to find any raw bones anywhere where do you get them? Also I have heard that feeding beef is not good, what animal bones should I be feeding?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
kellynharley
Been Around A While

what kind of bones are suitable for puppies? I want to give Harley something that will last a bit longer than one of his treats and keep him occupied while i clean the kitchen, kinda hard to clean the floor when Harley's tryin to eat the brush
kelly n Harley
kellynharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Suz23
Been Around A While

Ok cooked bones from the pet shop are yuk - so lets not even go there.

Feah meaty bones, go hound your butcher Most are almost giving them away or selling them very cheap.

Bones fall into different categorys- eating and teeth cleaning, so small bones like chicken legs wings turkey necks etc are for eating and should be fed as part of a meal.

Larger leg bones like lamb, pork etc - big knucle bones are for teeth cleaning and gnawing.

Freeze your bones first for twenty four hours then defrost andfeed - never leave the dog unattended and a large gnawing bone is a good place to start as it should be impossible for the dog to swallow. Take care with smaller bones like chicken until your dog has the hang of chewing not just gulping. Beef bones are ok depends on the breed - I would avoid feeding to spaniels as they normally set the ears off, and I would probably avoid giving them to your bassett too. Fallen angel I dont know what breed your dog is.

Kelly - get a nice lamb leg bone, make sure its not got too much meat on and give it a go - they will chew bits of bone off but dont worry, give some oil after - you can expect and upset tummy for a couple days as the gut adjust to eating new stuff - but they adjust quickly - feed some pro biotics too to help balance things out. Hmmm think that covers it, any questions just ask
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
kellynharley
Been Around A While

thanx suz23, i'm goin into town tommoz so i'll nip into the butchers
kelly n Harley
kellynharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
fallenangel
New Around Here

Suz23

Thanks - I've got a Rotti. he is a resue and doesn't really know how to play with toys so I'm looking for somthing that will keep him entertained while I get on with things around the house without him looking so bored!!

Does it matter if they swallow some parts of the bone? My Rotti had a cooked one and swallow a bit of bone before I took it off him. He retched the next moring and a few bits of bone came up, is this normal?

What type or size bone is good? I have never fed bones, just raw hinds until I found out the chemicals put in them to keep them fresh.......
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Try finding something that triggers his natural instincts. I read that they were cattle dogs, and also war dogs. I know from experiance that they do not really like rabbits or birds. Well i guess they love them because they always seem to chase...and devoure them.

Mabe a nice tennis ball, or squeeky toy. A ball woth a bell or something.

good luck

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Suz23
Been Around A While

Your welcome Kelly - just make sure you are able to take the bone away from him - work on a give command, Honey wasnt allowed bones until I was sure she would give them up

fallen angel - go ask your butcher for the biggest bone hes got, your dog should be fine with beef - but test it if he reacts dont feed it again (but remember he may have some upset tum for a couple days anyway) pork bone something like that also good. As for swallowing the cooked bone - not good its why we dont feed, the gut cant digest cooked bone as well, keep an eye on him if he looks unwell or is trying to be sick or cant go to the toilet go to the vet - he should be fine though as hes brought some up. However raw bones doesnt matter if they swallow it -the gut will digest it perfectly well, just expect white poos lol!!!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet