Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Do you feed him eggs???

Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Do you feed him eggs???

I heard that feeding a dog eggs can be good for them, but i do not know. So i tried it 2 times. he loved it. But could i be putting him at risk of something bad???

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Suz23
Been Around A While

eggs are fine - including the shells, one a day is very good for them. Try to buy the best egss you can though
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

cool thanx, anyone else herd anything different???

Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
TrasiGator
Site Regular

Eggs can be good for dogs. They contain lots of things that are good. And as was said before, they can even eat the shells I have however been told that most quality dog foods (and even the sketchier brands) contain all the stuff that the egg would. I was told one or two eggs in a week if you are going to go that route because even though something is good for you, too much of it can still cause problems.

When I first got Sydney he WOULD NOT eat dry food. Because I have had bad experiances with wet dog food, I decided to try a different route. I would add about 1/4 cup of milk to his food in the morning and an egg at night. I slowly weened him off of that. He now gets the night egg only on the days that he just got done being good (For example, riding in a car without trying to jump out of the windows, or my Pittbul gets it after we do weight pullling - they all have something they need to get rewarded for, right?)
*Trasi*
TrasiGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #5
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Ya, i get it. Thanx. I new they were good. But ya, he is already spoiled so no more eggs for awile. i am not sure if milk is souch a good idea though. i thought it gives then loose stoll...?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
toppers
Been Around A While

Hi
dogs shouldn't be given cows milk, they cannot digest it. You can get special powdered milk as a replacement for new pups. I give my daxies eggs mixed in with their food, every couple of days. My daxies eat 'biologically appropriate raw food' - B.A.R.F. We made the transition back in Feb/March. No Kibble or Tinned food just fresh meat, fresh raw puree veg, brown rice and occasional eggs. I'll never go back to factory made dog food. too much bad press as to what exactly ends up in processed food. My dogs look and act better on this diet, it was hard to get into a routine but I'm glad I did it!!!
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Cooked eggs are a very healthy treat for dogs, raw egg whites contain a protein called Avidin. This protein depletes your dog of B vitamins, specifically Biotin, which is essential to growth and coat condition. Also, raw eggs may contain bacteria, such as Salmonella.

The strange thing is that egg yolk replenishes the B vitamins so always make sure if you do feed raw eggs it is the whole egg and not just the white.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
toppers
Been Around A While

I was a little worried about certain types of raw food on this B.A.R.F. diet so I must admit I cheat. I cook any pork products and I also cook the eggs. So can you feed them eggs raw or not?
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Yes, i thought that milk was nto such a good idea. B.A.R.F sounds interesting. I just think things like tepe worms and other bacteria might not be good for a dog. Ya now, it is exposing them to many thing. But its sounds like a good rought. And if you cook it even better!!!lol As for Salmanella, i asked my mom, a medical assistant, and my step dad, a docter, about it and they said that they were not sure if dogs can get sallmanalla. I am not sure eather. So...? I though you were sapossed to give them the yoke only. Is the whites ok too???

Old 06-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Yes dogs can and do get infected by Salmonella. In fact a recent study in the UK says that about a third of all dogs carry it in their gut. That is mostly harmless but they can get an overload if they eat something infected. My dog recently had bloody diarrhoea and started vomiting blood too. I rushed her to the vet and she was kept in for 3 days on a drip and anti biotic. She was then on anti biotic tablets (9 per day) for two weeks.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet