Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Garlic for dogs

Old 11-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
kellynharley
Been Around A While

Question Garlic for dogs

I take a garlic tablet every day and was wondering if they're ok to give harley? I've seen stuff on pet websites like garlic powder and granuels but thought as long as i have these i might give them to him too. Also wondered about cod liver oil my local health store has a sale on for cod liver oil liquid and was wondering about getting some for harley, is it safe to give them stuff meant for humans
kelly n Harley
kellynharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

If animals need nutritional supplementation of energy or Vitamin A cod liver oil (and other fish oils) are a good idea, However, if your pet is eating a balanced complete ration you could provide too much Vitamin A. Many pet foods are already supplemented with vitamins and can already contain large amounts of Vitamin A.

Don't give cod liver oil supplementation unless you are sure you won't exceed the toxic dose for Vitamin A in your pet. Ask your vet for his/her advice.

As for Garlic. Stick to products produced for dogs. Raw Garlic is as poisonous to dogs as Onion. The products produced for dogs I used for years for my arthritic Labrador. They have the added bonus of keeping fleas at bay.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
J. Hall
Banned

I use Cod Liver Oil Only when I have a pregnant female, The garlic is a good idea but just as its been stated , Only use dog friendly products. The Oil Should only be used if its appearent there is a lack of nutrition also as stated above. Good luck!
J. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
kellynharley
Been Around A While

Thanks for that guys, his coat's really shiny and he's full of energy so don't think he needs any extra vitamins but i'm gonna get him some garlic from pets at home, just hope he doesn't smell like my hubby when he's had garlic, jk
kelly n Harley
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Suz23
Been Around A While

Raw garlic is fine - Honey has it regularly and she is alive and kicking. Just dont over do it. Otherwise human tablets are fine.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
kellynharley
Been Around A While

thanks suz23, how much raw do you give and how often?
kelly n Harley
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
taraburner
New Around Here

Send a message via AIM to taraburner Send a message via Yahoo to taraburner
garlic is good for fending off fleas as well and ironically none of our dogs 'smell' like people smell when they've eaten garlic.
Tara
taraburner is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet