Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Feeding dogs bones

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
naturalfeddogs
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel View Post
Hello all.

I have recently been to a very good trainer who has informed me of the crap that is put into some of the dog treats available now.

My dog is fed Arden Grange and now only gets Arden grange or James Well Beloved treats as they contain meat and not cereals and god knows what else.

My dog likes to chew and i did find that Raw hinds were helping with his teeth. I have been advised to give him bones to chew instead. I just wondered what anyone else thought about feeding bones and if cooked was better than raw.

Also when he has been chewing a bone there is sometimes some blood of which i guess if from his mouth somewhere, should he still have bones???
Raw bones are absolutly the best in cleaning teeth and gums. The bleeding is likely from gum inflamation due to lack of cleaning. The bones should ONLY be raw, not cooked, and not the weight bearing bones. Weight bearing bones are relly dense and can break teeth.
Jenny

Dogs fed unnatural diets are predisposed to unatural outcomes
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Fritz_Dog
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillisMom View Post
Never give a dog cooked bone they can splinter and cause a lot of problems. If your dog isn't used to raw foods, what you have to do is cut off most of the raw meat and then it should be okay. Also always watch them when they're chewing, one time one of my dogs Chilli just bit rite through the bone ( it was a cow leg bone!) and started eating the pieces... I was so scared, thanks God nothing happened....
No kidding! I have just a little guy, so I doubt he'd be able to bite through a bone. Regardless, watch him the whole time to be sure. I actually rarely give my dog any bones--for this reason.
Fritz_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Fritz_Dog
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz23 View Post
Bones fall into different categorys- eating and teeth cleaning, so small bones like chicken legs wings turkey necks etc are for eating and should be fed as part of a meal.
I thought we weren't supposed to give our dogs chicken bones...
Fritz_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Dog View Post
I thought we weren't supposed to give our dogs chicken bones...
chicken bones are fine as long as they are raw. cooked bones splinter into sharp pieces.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet