Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » BARF diet

Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #41
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Labman, and how many dogs got sick or died during the dog food recall???

I can honestly say that I do not see any difference in coat or health with my dogs that eat raw, but then again they are all healthy even on kibble. But there was a huge difference in their teeth! It went from 2 needing their teeth cleaned to they now have white teeth. Yes I talked to my vet first.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #42
k9mania
Administrator

To most people, pet food is something that comes in a bag or can. The package might be illustrated with pictures of meat chunks, vegetables and grains, but what's inside is probably the most thoroughly processed food product on the market.

Still, quite a few dog and cat owners are deciding that packaged food isn't the only way to feed their pets. Over the last two decades, they've become a vocal movement advocating food for pets made with whole, fresh, minimally processed and usually raw ingredients.
If calling it a "movement" seems like hyperbole, consider that nearly a thousand pet owners in San Francisco and the North Bay alone belong to SF Raw, a raw feeders' buying group. Similar organizations have sprung up across the country.
Since the early '80s, dozens of books have been published on raw pet diets. There are raw feeding dog and cat breeders, animal rescue groups and shelters. There are also uncountable e-mail lists, websites and message boards where raw feeding is discussed. Veterinarians have reported a huge increase in the number of clients expressing interest in raw and homemade diets, particularly after the 2007 pet food recall.
Most of those people, when they did mention raw diets to their veterinarians, got a lecture about the dangers of homemade diets and raw foods in particular. A lot of vets think it's impossible to make a homemade meal for a dog or cat without a PhD in nutrition and a food laboratory in the garage. And a raw diet? Given the amount of bacteria in raw meat, they say, that's a recipe for sickness and death for your pets.
So why do so many pet owners insist on feeding raw diets to their pets? And why is the modern raw pet food movement not just alive, but growing?
If the terms "slow food" and "locavore" come to mind, you're on the right track. Modern raw feeders aren't crazy, back-to-nature hippies or indulgent pet parents trying to spoil their fur babies with grass-fed steak tartare. They're part of a much larger movement interested in doing right by farm animals, the planet and their local economies.
Commercial diets and the myth of "people food"
The roots of today's raw feeding movement go back to the early '80s, although feeding raw foods to dogs and cats is as old as domestication itself.
Commercial pet food in the United States was introduced in 1890, but it took several decades for the idea that "science and industry know best" to completely take hold. When I was growing up in the 1960s, my family and my friends' families fed their pets a combination of commercial foods, scraps from the butcher and the leftovers from our own meals.
By the end of the '70s, however, the multibillion dollar pet food industry had created a generation of pet owners and veterinarians who were absolutely convinced that dogs and cats couldn't survive without the scientifically formulated products known as "dog food" and "cat food." What we ate was "people food," and our pets couldn't eat it without developing any number of diseases caused by nutritional deficiency or excess.
Then, in 1983, a veterinarian named Dr. Richard Pitcairn wrote "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats," in which he challenged that pervasive belief, suggesting that a lifetime of processed food wasn't any healthier for our pets than it was for us.
I read Dr. Pitcairn's book in 1986 and, being a health food kind of person, thought I'd try his approach, and I convinced my mother to make the switch for her dog, too. Our animals thrived on their new diets, but for years we were the only people we knew who were feeding that way.

Rest of article at:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3109.DTL&tsp=1
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #43
Labman
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Labman, and how many dogs got sick or died during the dog food recall???

I can honestly say that I do not see any difference in coat or health with my dogs that eat raw, but then again they are all healthy even on kibble. But there was a huge difference in their teeth! It went from 2 needing their teeth cleaned to they now have white teeth. Yes I talked to my vet first.
Yes, and how many people got sick from the recalled human grade peanut butter? Invalid argument.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #44
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

A lot of people say that most vets don't want people to feed their dogs the raw or BARF diet. Not all, but a lot of those vets know they will be losing money if people use the raw diets because those dogs will be healthier. In the 14 yrs I have used the raw diet I haven't had to take my dogs to a vet because of sickness or teeth cleaning. My dogs have never had any skin problems either. I have only had my dogs to the vet for their shots and general care like worm meds. I did have one get his shoulder broken in a freak accident. But he healed so good that he never had any limp or problem with that leg. He died at 10 yrs old. He never had arthritis in that leg either. He wasn't quite a year old when he got hurt. He wasn't sick before he died either. A lot of vets don't know about the raw diets so they won't recommend the diet either. When I put mine on the BARF diet my homeopathic vet gave me the ok on the diet. She seen how healthy my dogs stayed. And that they were never sick or need their teeth cleaned. They had beautiful fur and lots of energy. She said if its working don't change.
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #45
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
ALL the vets around here market Science Diet, hardcore...and its so high in CORN which is not digestable by dogs...and bi-products which can be anything imagainable...

If you tell a vet here you feed anything else...even "high quality dog kibble" they will push Science Diet saying "they dont see any diffrence in any of it..."
Even the Vet I travel 40 mins to go see pushes SD...I think its because they get it cheap from the company and can sell it and make a big profit...=rolls eyes=

Sorry vets, my dogs are shiney, healthy, and I feel better about feeding them my high quality kibble with my home made mixture of HUMAN grade chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, flax...ect

I feed Tigger beef ribs raw, and never had any issues, but I am not brave enough to feed everyone a 100% raw diet...

In short, there are a LOT of options out there instead of just kibble...do what you feel best is best for your dog and budget.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #46
Momto3
Been Around A While

I'm with you Meredith...my pooches get a quality food when I'm working and their home-cooked stew. Rarely need dentals but sometimes I have one who just has genetically bad teeth. Vets push their stores cause they have a huge mark-up and possibly a kick-back from their suppliers. Max was on sooo many meds that I started shopping around and found simple things like his gel tears at less than half the cost on-line from what the vet was charging me. Puralube $12 at vet - $4 at Jefferspet.com! Trusopt $85 at vet - $35 at online Canadian pharmacy for the generic equivalent not available at the vet's. I've tried mine on various raw stuff and they look at me like I've lost my dang mind!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #47
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

Meredith, I agree with you. Whatever works the best for you,your dogs, their health, and your budget is what you should feed. Whether it is kibble or raw.
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #48
GappyGermanPointer
New Around Here

My dog also loves raw food. She never fails to leave nothing in her bowl. Raw feeding is a great choice.
In caring for your dog, give it the best dog diet and dog food recipes from your heart.
GappyGermanPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #49
naturalfeddogs
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatdogg View Post
Cool, thanx. I will check it out!lol
Another one to check out is preymodelraw.com The PMR diet is nothing but meat,bones and organs. It also has a link to a food forum with a raw feeding section. The problem with a RMB diet is that it adds fruits and veggies that are not needed in a carnivore diet.
Jenny

Dogs fed unnatural diets are predisposed to unatural outcomes
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet