Thread: New Female Dog
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Question New Female Dog

We got a new female beagle X dachund she is under 1 year old. (1 year in October) and she was actually the sister of our dog, Midnight(as some may have read about him earlier on in the year). She belonged to my brother-in-law, and his wife, and the stories we heard made us nearly hate them. Constant screaming, hitting, scolding, no praise, no coddling, no love. They had another dog, a Rat Terrier, but we couldn't take her, because she was older (8 years old) and fought with our 8 year old Labrador Retriever X Unknown Terrier. But we rescued the beagle named Bella, and sent the Rat Terrier named Rocky off to my father-in-law's house. They were going to shoot them both for being loud and obnoxious with a new baby in the house. *Rolls Eyes*

Anyway, we now have this dog, Bella, and she is very VERY sweet, but she is extremely afraid of me, and you cannot raise your voice higher than normal level, she refuses to play, she is VERY skittish during storms and when visitors come to the house, and she will not sleep, at all, unless we let her hide underneath our covers at our feet (she won't sleep above the covers, and she won't sleep away from my husband).

It is quite cute to see her snuggling with my husband, but she hangs on to him for dear life. He has tried being a little more strong with her, saying "no, get down", "go lay down, Bella" etc...But it just does not work. She has shown shy aggressiveness towards some visitors (especially females) and she does not take well to me. She has not bitten anyone, but has threatened it.

We do NOT want to get rid of the dog, but we don't want any real problems. There are no children in the household at the time, but it is considered in the future. She has come a long way from where she's started, when she first came she wouldn't get out from under the couch. She has been moved into different houses (not different families) three times before we grabbed her.

If anyone has any advice, please let us know.

P.S. Please give me about a week to respond, as we have no access to the net except for at the Library (storm took it out).
ButterflySlave is offline   Reply With Quote